HELP. Can I unlock non BE phenom X4 9850 cpu multiplier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Is it possible to unlock the cpu multiplier on a non Black Edition Phenom X4 9850? With it stock it has 2.51gb, but the best I can do with the locked multiplier is 2.63gb that is stable. I say stable because when I try to go further, in the POST BIOS screen it tells me that the boot fails and to go back to the BIOS and set the default settings. But it also says that I can press F1 and it will boot up. so I have gotten it to 2.88gb but thats just from pressing F1 at the boot failed screen. So I only assume that it means that its not stable. This is my first overclocking but my cpu multiplier can only go up to 12.5 and when I research people talk about overclocking with at least a 15 multiplier. So I figure that with a higher multiplier i can make it more stable. Can someone please help.

PC specs:

Asus M2N-SLI
AMD Phenom X4 9850
Hynex 4gb 800 Memory
GeForce GTX 260

Solution
Your HT should be 4x. 667 on your RAMs is fine. As long as your memory is within the posted JEDEC specs as reported in CPUz you may set everything on 'Auto' including voltage.

The issue is that your motherboard (nVidia chipset) does not split power delivery to the CPU and memory controller. Controlling their voltages and speeds independently leads to much better over-clocking. There's a reason nVidia finally had to stop making new AMD chipsets, and this is one of them.

Changes in the AMD southbridge also improved Phenom over-clocking, and introduced Advanced Clock Calibration. That's where core-unlocking comes from.

As long as you find a 95w CPU you should be fine but I wouldn't expect to get much further than 200-230MHz on the...

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Ok here is what happened. I downloaded and installed ntune but it froze my desktop when I opened it. So I. Restarted and set the memory like you said but ddr2 voltage options have only 1.8, 1.85, 1.9, and 1.95. So I set to 1.85. Saved and rebooted. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled ntune but it wouldn't open. So I went to BIOS and set ht to 1x, saved and rebooted. Then I tried opening cputweaker and it froze my PC. Then restarted and set ddr2 voltage higher and restarted and cputweaker froze my PC again. Restarted and set ddr2 voltage to stock restarted and cputweaker froze me again. Restarted and set ht to stock and restarted and cputweaker froze me again. Then I set everything to stock and cputweaker froze me again. I don't know why its freezing me like this. So right now everything is stock and I believe cputweaker is up to date with version 1.5. I don't know what the hell the problem is.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
can you list the things that you can change and how much with bios that i have included in those steps

cputweaker seems incompatible with some bios change

are you using startup option of cputweaker?

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
@truegenius
Sorry I havent replied cause I have been swamped with work these past few days, Idont know why but I just got the email notification an hour ago even though you sent it on the 5th. Anyways, I will gather the info and reply back tomorrow

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Ok well I can tweak all of those memory timings accept for the ddr2 voltage. The options are 1.8, 1.85, 1.9, 1.95. I can change the HT from x1- x5. I can change cpu multiplier up to 12.5 and cpu voltage in increments of .25. I CANNOT cahnge the uncore multiplier or the uncore voltage. And obviously I can change the fsb, so I guess that should be all of it. And sorry for replying back so late, I've just been busy with work. Whatever you can help with is appreciated as well as what you've already helped with.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
1st use bios to change these settings
ram timings
cl 6
trcd 6
trp 6
tras 18
trc 24
cr 2t
ddr2 voltage 1.90v
memory clock 666mhz (means 2x333)
ht at x1

fsb first at 205 if booted then increase upto 230 with 5mhz at a time

if unable to boot , that means nb multipliyer is holding it

try upper method, if not working then i will add some additional settings (nb related)

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Your HT should be 4x. 667 on your RAMs is fine. As long as your memory is within the posted JEDEC specs as reported in CPUz you may set everything on 'Auto' including voltage.

The issue is that your motherboard (nVidia chipset) does not split power delivery to the CPU and memory controller. Controlling their voltages and speeds independently leads to much better over-clocking. There's a reason nVidia finally had to stop making new AMD chipsets, and this is one of them.

Changes in the AMD southbridge also improved Phenom over-clocking, and introduced Advanced Clock Calibration. That's where core-unlocking comes from.

As long as you find a 95w CPU you should be fine but I wouldn't expect to get much further than 200-230MHz on the system clock.

Interestingly enough, I suspect something like a PhII 80w dual-core 'BE' might be the way to go -- you start with a low-watt base and an unlocked multi. That would probably be your best bet for gaming.

Otherwise, that old Phenom probably won't go past 2.8GHz without a lot of volts.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.