Help choose a high end laptop for development

Ran Dat

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Hello all,

I need some advice on finding a good high end laptop for development work. Most I find seem to be either gaming focused or media workstations with expensive graphics cards which I have no need for.

I need something as fast as possible, quad core i7 or Xeon with 16GB ram and a decent sized SSD. Ideally not too big and heavy so 13 to 15inch display. I will be mainly working on external displays so need support for a couple of decent resolution displays. Battery life not important as mainly desk based.

Thanks for the help!

Edit:

1. What is your budget? 1500gbp

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13->15 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want? unspecified

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? both!

5. How much battery life do you need? unimportant

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Development

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any

13. What country do you live in? UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
There is almost no way to avoid a fast CPU without a good video card, for that you would need to check on the pro laptops made for CAD type work, lenovo W, HP Z Book, Dell Precision.

Lenovo has a W550s which is a very well build system with a fast CPU and a pro grade video card, in a pretty slim chasis.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/

Edit.. those models actually look to be only available with dual core versions of the i7 chip which is a bit odd for that series. The standard W models should have quad core CPUs though.

There is almost no way to avoid a fast CPU without a good video card, for that you would need to check on the pro laptops made for CAD type work, lenovo W, HP Z Book, Dell Precision.

Lenovo has a W550s which is a very well build system with a fast CPU and a pro grade video card, in a pretty slim chasis.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/

Edit.. those models actually look to be only available with dual core versions of the i7 chip which is a bit odd for that series. The standard W models should have quad core CPUs though.

Solution