Help choose CPU for Budget Laptop

KryssNova

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hey.
I'm buying a new budget (portable) home/work Laptop for my parents. (in Norway)
and I'm in dilemma which CPU would deal better with the task they usually do.
They mainly browse Internet (with like 20 tabs open) for info and playing back a YT video in background. Do some 2-3 office documents open at same time and then maybe also have a Skype conversation while at it. Also regarding video playback, will those be able to play back at least 720p 60FPS with no frame drops. Otherwise nothing more intensive....

I'm choosing between:
HP Pavilion 13-B281no
[i3 5010u Dual Core, Intel HD 5500 Graphics, 4GB RAM, 13'3 inch and 1366x768p]
and a
Acer Aspire E5-411 (NX.MQDED.021)
[Celeron N2940 Quad Core, HD Graphics, 4GB RAM, 14' inch, 1366x768p]
How well does two stack up to each other, does Celeron being 4 core helps it with any task over Dual Core i3?

So I'm having those problem figuring out which CPU would be able to handle those tasks?
I'm not sure of the performance required for those usage.
Also how does AMDs APUs fare against those Intel's?
Especially those models of AMD, since they on sale mostly here in Norway and almost cost same as those two: [A6-6310/7310 , A8-6410/7410, A10-7300]

Solution
I would absolutely go with the i3. The Celeron is quad-core, but they are very, very weak cores.

Also, try to get one with 8 GB RAM or at the very least make sure it is upgradeable and not soldered into the machine and add another 4 GB yourself - it will help with the multitasking you want to do.

The AMD A10 APU's have some of the best integrated graphics in laptops, and they'll hold up reasonably well to the performance of an i3.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I would absolutely go with the i3. The Celeron is quad-core, but they are very, very weak cores.

Also, try to get one with 8 GB RAM or at the very least make sure it is upgradeable and not soldered into the machine and add another 4 GB yourself - it will help with the multitasking you want to do.

The AMD A10 APU's have some of the best integrated graphics in laptops, and they'll hold up reasonably well to the performance of an i3.

Solution