help choosing laptop components

adz_w

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello I have a Packard bell easynote ts11hr laptop.

A few weeks ago my laptop started making clicking noises and after a restart wouldn't boot up. The laptop couldn't "find the drive".

I've been thinking about installing a SSD instead of a typical drive along with an external HDD. I won't be moving around much anyway. I'm.stuck between the crucial mx100 or the crucial m500. Which one?

I've also been thinking about adding more RAM? I'm not sure if its worth it. It has 4gb installed but before it broke it was running slow and sluggish even with Ccleaner cleaning the system and I had antivirus running too schedualled to scan twice a week.

Is there any chance of recovering the system and moving it to a new drive. I think I might have a back up somwhere but no windows 7 disk. Will I have to buy one?

Thanks in advance

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I would go with the mx100, it's crucial's new line up and you can't beat the price to performance on them. I would stick with the 4GB right now, if you feel like the RAM is holding you back after the new SSD then I would upgrade it.

adz_w

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Thought that was newer lone up but was stuck between the two the ssd will breath new life into it and then install all applications into the external hdd. Should help.

Any idea of getting my stuff back on my broken drive?

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

You might need to go see a shop that specializes in disk recovery.

adz_w

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I can have a go I know how to do it but haven't got the software to do it. I'll have to buy a new compy of 7 won't I?

Just because this post is active. I put in a question I think 2 days ago and no one has had a look would that be possible? I'll post the link.

Thanks for your responce.

Micheal Rosen

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Depending on what you use your computer for I would say get a 2x4GB ram since they aren't that expensive and get more performance out of your laptop. But if you do not use any intensive programs stick with 2x2GB.

Now for the SSD/HDD. If you have an optical drive you can replace it with a SSD/HDD, depending on your need for memory. I think a 500GB SSHD is a great option considering the low cost and speed. I cannot think of a reason anyone would need an optical drive with the abundance of cloud storage and USBs, which is another place you can store/backup your files. Although it sounds like your drive is wrecked with no chance of recovery.

adz_w

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
For now I've managed to use an old laptops hardrive and install Linux on it until I get her new componants.

I used my laptop for gaming, general browsing the internet, developing websites etc. At times it was running very slowly e.g. running multiple programs which is down to the proccessor? Installing new RAM I think will help but I'll try it with the ssd first.

I need my optical drive for disk based games and programs. I could make it external though? I have been considering a SSHD could you recommend one? I'll need a new copy of 7 too. I've tried recovering files but couldn't retrieve anything.

Micheal Rosen

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Running multiple processes affects the performance of your CPU. Although having more ram definitely helps, as long as its not ridiculous.

For disk based games just get a disk burner, its not only faster than a prebuilt optical drive, its cheaper. This also gives space for an extra SSD.

I don't feel like recommending a SSHD due to it feeling like advertising that company. Honestly the higher the rpm the better, just go to amazon and look up SSHD 7200rpm (I think that's the fastest read speed). They are pretty cheap and fast.

There is almost absolutely no need for win7. Linux is becoming largely supported, safer, and free. Just get Linux Mint/Ubuntu.

As for recovering files. I don't know if you tried this but if you run your installtion disk and use the troubleshooting utility it may recovery your files. Or at least move your partiton to your new SSD/SSHD.

adz_w

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, I thought so. I'll install 8GB of ram, hopefully I'll get better proformance.

Fair play I was only asking because I've heard some brands arnt the best and fail after a few months. I know the faster 7200rpm is faster but ive read that they are unstable in laptops? So would 5400rpm be all right oia it difdersnt or ssd's and sshd's.

What about all my programs and games on disk and steam. They don't support Linux I don't think. I have installed Ubuntu on my old HDD to use for now but I'm struggling with getting my dual screen working. Which Linux is would you recomend?

Nope not tried that as I don't have the original installation disk.