Solved! Help choosing laptop

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

My ASUS laptop is showing signs of a 2nd breakdown, so I want to buy a new laptop.

1. What is your budget?
Around 650-700$.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

No preference

3. What screen resolution do you want?

No preference.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm going to be using it mostly at home, but I will ocasionally take it with me to uni, as well. As long as it's not heavier than 2.5 kilos, it's good.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'd like it to reach around 7 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I rarely use games, usually nothing to taxing on the graphic card. A Sims 4, or Caesar IV.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

It needs to be able to compile and execute smoothly in Visual Studio 2015, and run Oracle virtualbox decently, as well.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I am actually hoping to get something with an SSD. I have an external 1TB HDD for storage purposes, so I don't plan on storing more than app files on the laptop.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd like it to be durable enough to surpass a 3-year limit.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I'd like it to have a DVD writer, but an optical unit isn't mandatory.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't have a preference. I've had bad experiences with Dell, so I'm not exactly a fan, but willing to accept that it was perhaps a model issue.
I have had Acer and Asus - they seem to break down fairly easily, given the price point. I have read that Acer has been getting better build quality, though. As I'm obviously not considering a generous budget, I'm ok with any brand, as long as it doesn't break down fast or often.

I was considering buying an Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G, FHD, Intel® Core™ i5-8250U (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz), 4GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, GeForce MX150 2GB. It's currently at a 712$ price. Would it be a good investment? Thank you!

Solution
If had bad experience with Dell, and also your Acer and Asus models break down easily, I am not so sure the issue is with the laptops but with how they are treated.

Take a look at the ZenBook UX330UA, wont be as fast in video as the Acer but Acer models are often at the bottom half of reliability ratings.
If had bad experience with Dell, and also your Acer and Asus models break down easily, I am not so sure the issue is with the laptops but with how they are treated.

Take a look at the ZenBook UX330UA, wont be as fast in video as the Acer but Acer models are often at the bottom half of reliability ratings.

Solution