Help choosing the better Laptop?

matthew22

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hi, im interested in buying a Laptop and have narrowed it down between two. i will mainly be using the laptop for mid to high range gaming aswell as word processing and internet browsing. i will mainly be playing games from the Total war series. if you could help me pick what would be better for me i would appreciate it alot. i need a laptop as i need to be able to take it to different places so please avoid telling me to get a desktop (i wish i could) thanks.
Quick responses please as i need to buy one ASAP.

The specs are as follows:
Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7A
Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB)
8GB RAM
17.3 Inch screen
1920x1080
3D
Blu Ray

Lenovo Y580
Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M (2GB)
8GB RAM
15.6 Inch screen
1366 x 768

I am swaying towards the samsung due to its full HD screen and 3D capabilities, i am aware that the processor is 2nd gen compared to the Lenovo's 3rd gen. would this make much difference whilst gaming?
Could you please let me know as to which would be the better buy. the samsung is about £100 more than the lenovo
Thanks.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
the samsung has better gpu, it will matter more compared to 2nd vs 3rd gen.

wow, even an i7 is still low (in clock speed) for laptops.
well, such a small space, it is expected that they are slower than desktop counterparts

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
With GTX 660M You will approximately get the following FPS while playing:

Total War: Shogun 2 (2011) -
ultra: 12+ fps
med.: 35+ fps
low: 192+ fps

However with a 6970M you will get

ultra: 20+ fps
med.: 55+ fps
low: 227+ fps

Total War series are said to be more CPU dependant which in your case the reason of your conflict, however;

3610QM is 100Mhz faster than the 2670QM without turbo and 200Mhz with turbo boost, leading us to a %8-%15 performance difference which will hardly cause any visible difference while playing games in our case.
2670QM will NOT bottleneck your GPU whatsoever so I'd go for Samsung all the
way. It suits your needs better.

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

IMO 3rd Gen provides a better integrated GPU, Intel HD4000 (which you will hardly use) with less power consumption, over their 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge competetor which makes no difference when it comes to gaming.

edit: Thx to Pyree for correcting my mistake.

Pyree

Distinguished
True for laptop, Ivy bridge is nice to have over Sandy Bridge since you want to save some battery and have a better IPG on the run. But the CPU have locked multiplier and the bios are locked on the bus so there is no OC what so ever on the CPU. There will be a very small difference on CPU benchmark due to better efficiency per clock and higher clock of the Ivy Bridger CPU. But in games, your GPU will be chocked before the CPU. That's why you won't notice a difference in game.