Help Connecting DVD/VCR combo to New TV

sjpoker

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
I have an older model Insignia VCR/DVD combo. I recently bought a new Vizio TV. The DVD part of the player works fine. However, the VCR doesn't. Only the sound works for the VCR when inserting a VHS. There is no picture. The VCR menu screen doesn't work either.

I have an HDMI running from the TV to the cable box. From the DVD/VCR combo I have the Red Green Blue cables running from the Component/Progressive Scan Video Out part of the DVD/VCR combo to the TV. I have Red and White cables from the DVD/VCR Out running from the DVD/VCR combo to the TV. I have no wires running from the VCR IN to the TV. Could this be the problem? The only connection for VCR IN is the Red Yellow White cable. But, the Vizio doesn't have that combination on the back of the TV. Do I need a converter? I tried rearranging wires and such to no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On many VCR DVD players the component outputs only work for the DVD part. The composite video outs work for the VCR and often the DVD player too.
If your TV doesn't have a composite video input (yellow RCA jack) then i might have a dual use component video input. You would have to select composite video in one of the TV menus. Check the manual or FAQ on the Vizio website.
You could use a converter like this one to go from composite to HDMI
http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-RCACVS-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray/dp/B009A6PJKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1450201658&sr=1-1&keywords=composite+to+component

sjpoker

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for the reply. The input sections on the TV are HDMI 1 (which I use for my cable box), HDMI 2 (empty), Component (which I used for the DVD/VCR combo) and TV (which appears to be for a coaxial? cable, also empty).

Do you think if I buy the converter and use the empty HDMI port that will work?