Solved! Help converting a passive sub-woofer into a powered one please

May 3, 2020
I have a jvc subwoofer (model-sp-thg50w) and its power handling capacity is 450w, impendence is 3 and it cannot be hooked up without a source of power, apparantly.

Is there anyway someone could tell me what the cheapest method of powering this device would be?

Solution
I'm not sure I'd trust the spec's on your subwoofer, as far as power handling goes, but 3 ohms can be a tough load. Your amp delivers 225W @ 3 ohms to the sub at 10 percent distortion. Most spec's I've seen and trusted read like this for example: 225W continuous RMS power into 4 ohms, with 1 percent or less distortion. So the rated power of your combo at 225 watts includes significant distortion.

So here's what I recommend:
Using a multi-tester with ohm meter, check the DC resistance of your sub. Then call Parts Express (800-38-0531) with this information and ask if the following amp will run okay without running too hot at that load. Most 4 ohm amps are fine with a DCR of 3.xx ohms. This amp will deliver clean power and may be a...

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I'm not sure I'd trust the spec's on your subwoofer, as far as power handling goes, but 3 ohms can be a tough load. Your amp delivers 225W @ 3 ohms to the sub at 10 percent distortion. Most spec's I've seen and trusted read like this for example: 225W continuous RMS power into 4 ohms, with 1 percent or less distortion. So the rated power of your combo at 225 watts includes significant distortion.

So here's what I recommend:
Using a multi-tester with ohm meter, check the DC resistance of your sub. Then call Parts Express (800-38-0531) with this information and ask if the following amp will run okay without running too hot at that load. Most 4 ohm amps are fine with a DCR of 3.xx ohms. This amp will deliver clean power and may be a great solution at that power level.

This is a good spec and it's for this amp. Rated power output (1% THD): 156 watts into 8 ohms, 233 watts into 4 ohms.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa230-230w-subwoofer-amplifier--300-813

Last edited:
Solution