Help finding sound design/3D modeling/gaming laptop

naxan13

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I'm looking for a good laptop and don't know where to start. I'm a college student working with sound design and 3D modeling, mostly in Ableton intro and Maya. I also use photoshop, illustrator, and sometimes Unity. I also really love gaming, but on my current laptop, Heroes of the Storm plays with such incredibly low fps, even on the lowest settings, that its unplayable and I can only play it on my friends' computers. So basically, I'd really like a laptop with good audio for sound design and that works well with ableton, maya, and gaming. At least to the point that I can play most games at a comfortable fps.

Everything I've read has pointed to gaming laptops generally being good for both sound design and modeling. I've ended up looking at the Lenovo Y700 and the Alienware 15, but I honestly can't tell what's better, what would fit me more, or if neither of them are what I need.

Other facts:
-I have a budget of $1500.
-would like a 15" laptop
-battery life won't be an issue since I'll have it plugged in most of the time
-this will be my primary computer
-would prefer a hard drive capacity of 1TB
-would like something capable of running HoTS, Overwatch, Far Cry 4, Dark Souls, at medium to high quality
-would like it to last 3+ years

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I would say that if you are doing more heavy duty tasks like editing,3d modelling and audio stuff then get a laptop thats workstation grade even those have pretty good gpus now.

If you are going to play more games then get a gaming laptop, but they will be weaker in the other tasks.

Dont go with the y700 its a trainwreck, poor hinges, soldered battery, one ram slot, very limited hard drive upgrades, and to top it off the display sucks. And it runs hot.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
I would say that if you are doing more heavy duty tasks like editing,3d modelling and audio stuff then get a laptop thats workstation grade even those have pretty good gpus now.

If you are going to play more games then get a gaming laptop, but they will be weaker in the other tasks.

Dont go with the y700 its a trainwreck, poor hinges, soldered battery, one ram slot, very limited hard drive upgrades, and to top it off the display sucks. And it runs hot.

Solution