Help for aspiring 13 year old videographer/photographer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Hey all,
I'm going to Germany in the next month or two and want to film it. I also want something to do as a hobby over the summer.
I will be building an 8 core PC with an RX 580 for editing the photos and videos.

I'm receiving 500$ for my birthday. Add that to the money I've already saved and the expenses are almost all payed for.

I have chosen the Canon EOS Rebel T7i, the EF-S 18-55mm lens, and the Manfrotto Befree live fluid head tripod.
Is this a good setup? I would like it to last me for the next 3-4 years, and only need to change the lens within that time if needed.

Thanks!

Solution

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

Just looking at it makes me dizzy for some reason.

I like the one of the cat too. Good detail on the head of the cat while the rest is sufficiently blurred. Be careful not to over analyze or you will take the fun out of every picture you take. Worry less and enjoy more. As been said focus on the art and not the equipment. Practice may not make you a perfect photographer but it certainly can improve your ability and quality of your shots. To reiterate something else that has been said - it takes a lot of shots to get one or so that you are actually satisfied with and like. Be patient. I'm not a professional photographer but have taken sports shots for a local middle school's yearbook and I had to take a lot and I do mean a lot of pictures to get a few that were good enough to be used.

I focused on gear at first, obsessed for a month over what to even buy, then went on a used lens rampaged and bought a bunch. Now I'm selling most of them and sticking to a few good ones once I found what I like. Didn't really need 3 different prime lens that overlaps several of my zoom lens, etc.

Lots of great advice here. As for editing and such, I have a AMD 8320 and manage fine with photos.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Huh, so should I buy used lenses?
The main reason I am stressing about the gear is because I'm not the type of person to buy a new piece of equipment the day it comes out. For example, I would replace the Canon T7i (if I buy it) in roughly 4 years.
So I really want to choose something good that will satisfy me for that amount of time. I hope you guys understand.

I have a DSLR question, but this one is more for just basic knowledge. So there is the sony a6000 and a6300 mirrorless cameras. What makes them useful or better than a DSLR?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to be prepared before I buy this camera.

USAFRet

Illustrious
A traditional SLR (Single Lens Reflex) film camera has an actual mirror. It reflects the image up through a prism to the eyepiece.
When you take a pic, that physical mirror moves out of the way and exposes the film.

A DSLR (digital) is the same, except for the film it is the sensor.

A mirrorless does away with the mirror, and does that exposure in software.
A mirrorless camera can be smaller.
https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/mirrorless-cameras-everything-you-wanted-to-know/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/mirrorless-cameras

The primary thing you want to reference on is the sensor size.
All else being equal, similar sensor size will produce mostly similar quality images.
DSLR and mirrorless in our price range are pretty much the same sensor size.

rhysiam

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
RE the battery life, don't worry too much about it. I don't know specifically what the battery life is on the Canon you're looking at but I'd be very surprised if you get under 500 shots. That's one of the advantageous of an DSLR, you'll get far more shots out of that than you will with any phone or mirrorless camera.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Resuming in here from a long PM trail:

----------------------------

Sent on: June 5, 2017 2:17 PM
Well,
After watching YouTube reviews for all the different cameras that I was looking at (T7i, 80D, a6500, X-T20, X-T2)
I chose the X-T20. Much more affordable than the Sony a6500, better looking images and better lenses!
I just have a question on if it's worth to save up more for the X-T2.
Thanks!
----------------------------

Sent on: June 6, 2017 11:52 AM
wait...what?

I thought you were going with the Canon.
Now a Fuji X-T20 or X-T2?

I love my Fuji X-T1.
But if you're going to buy into a whole new line other than your existing Nikon....you need to just DO IT.
The X-T20 is a preorder. How does that timeline mesh with your vacation?

I'm going to copy/paste this back into your regular thread....
------------------------------------

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Ah,
yes.
I like Fuji colors and I'll use stills much more than video.
Fuji isn't the camera to get for video.
But I'll take Fuji for the colors and design overall.

Yeah, I'll use the Nikon for the trip.

Also,
My mother is giving me a choice. Going to Germany alone, going to Spain with her (her best friend lives there), or staying in the states and going to Florida, Colorado, and Pennsylvania. Our family is in Pennsylvania.
Either way, I'll do traveling.
But since my parent's recent divorce, doing the paperwork for me flying alone out of country should be tricky. If not this year, it'll be next.

Not sure why I'm saying this, since I'm going to be traveling either way. But yeah, I'm taking the Nikon.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
That's the plan.
Didn't sleep till 4:30 AM. So woke up late today, couldn't get much done.

@USAFRet,
Do you like the Fuji XT20 or XT2 more?
I could only get 2 lenses with the XT20 counting the kit lens.
Sorry for asking so much, but these two cameras are my final 2!
:) thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious

Mainly just a feature comparison. Either will take great pics.
Same size sensor, same processor.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=fujifilm_xt1&products=fujifilm_xt2&products=fujifilm_xt20

The -T20 has a touch screen if that is important to you.
The -T2 has dual SD card slots

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
The main drawback of the XT20 is that it uses line skipping, providing a less sharp image. It also does 4K at 10 minutes maximum.
I could put up with that. I just really want a Fuji. They are the only mirrorless I really like. Just a quality product it seems, as apposed to Sony. While Sony is great, the overheating, washed out colors and lenses drove me away.
I'll look at the comparison.
Thanks!

USAFRet

Illustrious

That same lens came with my X-T1.
Standard kit lens. It's OK.
But the 35mm f1.4 is a whole other level of goodness. It's also $600. I got mine used, from BHPhotoVideo for $320.

But again, lots of practice. A $2000 camera isn't going to make your photos any better if you don't know much about ISO, f Stops, low light shooting, etc. My photos are coming 10x better with the same gear than a month ago and I have years to go. Go look up Nikon D5100 images on google, you'll see stuff with the kit lens that unless you know what you're doing, the Fuji won't be able to do.

Or, if you're going to buy it, buy it, do it, learn it.I sat on the fence for a while, and it be honest, unless you're a pro, the difference in what you can do with it are going to be limited. I bought too many lens that I'm selling now, and just taking photos of everything, and reading/watching all kinds of instructions.

Statements like "The main drawback of the XT20 is that it uses line skipping, providing a less sharp image" come straight from a review, and probably don't even mean much to you. lol.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Also...why do you like the Fuji?
Is it a great camera? Absolutely. So are the similar price offerings from Canon/Nikon/Pentax/etc/etc.

I got the X-T1 because:
It was basically 1/2 price (refurb). The lenses came later.
I was familiar with the Fuji interface, from my previous HS10.
I wanted to move up from a bridge camera (the HS10).

Things I don't like about it? Some of the controls are a little bit small. The video button, for instance. Hard to start it, because the actual button is pretty small and almost flush with the body.

Before spending any major coin, you really, really need to go to a real camera store and lay hands on some of them.

Live with the Nikon for a while. Do whatever vacation thing you're going to do. Take lots of pics. Learn. Have fun.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Why I like it:
I like the size. It's much smaller than a Canon DSLR. And seeing as that it's smaller for no real drawback from a DSLR, I just see it as a plus.
I love the dials. And the retro design. One of the main reasons I like this camera is because of the dials on top and the whole style of it. Really speaks to me.
I'll do more photography than videos. It would be nice to do videos, but videos are almost exclusively for YouTube and I feel that it'll get boring fast. But video still matters.

The Sony A6500 is at a local Best Buy here. However, in Minnesota.. Kind of hard to find a Fuji XT2 somewhere in a store. I'd need to order it online.

Getochkn,
The difference is quite noticeable. It's a much sharper image on the X-T2.
This is a very, very hard choice. First it was the Canon t7i/6D MKII. I've ruled those out because of no 4K video and large size.
Then the Sony. I've ruled it out because of overheating.
Now two Fujis.. They are both such great cameras that it is hard to choose!

USAFRet,
Let's say I have a maximum budget of 2,000$.
With the T2 I can get the camera, battery grip, and kit lens.
With the T20, I can get the camera, the Fuji 50mm lens, and the 18-135mm zoom. Or, a 35mm and some other lens. So 2/3 lenses.

I'm just super concerned that the 10 minutes of video and line skipping will handicap me. I probably won't notice though.

And has anyone here tried Sony lenses? How are they? I'm interested to see their quality.

Thanks!