Solved! Help: Home Cinema Sound System: Budget £2.5k

Aug 15, 2019
Hi Guys.
I am building a Home Cinema and am looking to plug a 4k Apple TV box into a BENQ W2700 4k projector. I'd like Dolby ATMOS. I'm looking for suggestions on how best to hook all this up and for suggestions for the sound. Budget is £2.5k for the sound (soundbar or amp and speakers etc.) excluding cabling. I've been told I need to buy an AV amp and plug everything into that but I'm open to suggestions. Budget isn't too flexible. I live in Bishops Stortford so any professionals nearby I'd pay to set it all up. The room in basically a professionally converted garage.

Solution
Your budget will certainly allow you to do a real surround sound system.
Did you wire the ceiling for Atmos speakers? Using upward firing speakers doesn't do the job. All the other speakers have to be at around ear level to let the Atmos speakers create the proper 3D effect.
I would suggest a Marantz AVR. Excellent sound quality.
Speakers are a matter of taste and esthetic choices. Shopping at a bricks and mortar shop allows you to hear different makes and models before you buy. The shop may also offer installation services so they can take full responsibility for the result.
A professionally programmed remote control is a very worthwhile investment. As good as a Logitech Harmony may be it often doesn't allow the flexibility and...
Your budget will certainly allow you to do a real surround sound system.
Did you wire the ceiling for Atmos speakers? Using upward firing speakers doesn't do the job. All the other speakers have to be at around ear level to let the Atmos speakers create the proper 3D effect.
I would suggest a Marantz AVR. Excellent sound quality.
Speakers are a matter of taste and esthetic choices. Shopping at a bricks and mortar shop allows you to hear different makes and models before you buy. The shop may also offer installation services so they can take full responsibility for the result.
A professionally programmed remote control is a very worthwhile investment. As good as a Logitech Harmony may be it often doesn't allow the flexibility and reliable operation you can get with a URC remote. The programmer can make sure it works correctly every time.

Solution