HELP! I need more disk space in brand new laptop.

davidgolfpro2012

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi folks,

I hope someone can help.

I bought a Asus Vivobook 402wa and on first windows update it was low on disk space..what a joke!

My question is, can I simply gain more space by inserting a ssd into the spare slot, and rebooting? Or do I have to clone the emmc 32gb flashdrive with a new ssd? Asus have stated I can upgrade with a new ssd.

Many thanks.

Solution
yes you can upgrade with any 2.5" SSD/HDD drive as your secondary drive. if you want to transfer you windows to that new SSD drive. check the BIOS first if it allows you to boot from SSD. if you can then, grab a USB drive (at least 8GB). and go to the site below to create your installer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

open your BIOS. set SSD as your primary boot. save and reset. press F8 (or F2/DEL to boot menu) and select USB UEFI to start the win10 install. [strike]delete all the partitions from the emmc drive[/strike] (to be safe. you can delete the partitions later after SSD works perfectly). and select your new SSD as your install destination. after the auto reboot. you will load to your SSD drive.

then go to...

captaincharisma

Distinguished

joke? you bought a windows 10 laptop that only comes with 32GB of storage. emmc does sound like it is integrated so you can always upgrade the storage by using an SD card or an external USB drive

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
yes you can upgrade with any 2.5" SSD/HDD drive as your secondary drive. if you want to transfer you windows to that new SSD drive. check the BIOS first if it allows you to boot from SSD. if you can then, grab a USB drive (at least 8GB). and go to the site below to create your installer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

open your BIOS. set SSD as your primary boot. save and reset. press F8 (or F2/DEL to boot menu) and select USB UEFI to start the win10 install. [strike]delete all the partitions from the emmc drive[/strike] (to be safe. you can delete the partitions later after SSD works perfectly). and select your new SSD as your install destination. after the auto reboot. you will load to your SSD drive.

then go to your laptops support site to download and reinstall all the drivers for your laptop. start with your chipset INF driver. then VGA/Graphic drivers. then the rest.

but if you cant and prefer to the the emmc drive as your windows system drive. then just make sure you only install applications on your secondary drive. and try to keep the 32GB purely windows with regular cleaning from the link i sent you. also switch your downloads folder to your secondary.

Solution

davidgolfpro2012

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

They shouldn't be allowed to sell such laptops, it's no joke.