HELP! laptop won't charge with the new battery.

Mar 13, 2018
I have a dell inspiron 4050 and the battery died a year ago. i plugged it in whenever i need to use the laptop [made it into a ''desktop''] with the '''needs to be replaced battery''' attached. i bought a new battery recently since i now need the laptop for work. the laptop wont charge the new battery. not changing the battery when it needs to be changed and leaving it attached to the laptop affects the whole laptop system? thank you for the replies and answer/s to this question.

Solution
Could be the charger, or the charging circuit or even the new battery.

Try first to charge it while the laptop is turned off. Not sleep or hibernate, but off. If it charges then, the charger is the problem. It means it isn't putting out enough power to both run the device and charge the battery. So you would then need to replace the charger.

If, however, it won't charge even then, we are back to the charging circuit being bad (which could mean a motherboard replacement) or the new battery is not good. If it is an aftermarket battery, then that isn't shocking. They can be hit or miss.
Could be the charger, or the charging circuit or even the new battery.

Try first to charge it while the laptop is turned off. Not sleep or hibernate, but off. If it charges then, the charger is the problem. It means it isn't putting out enough power to both run the device and charge the battery. So you would then need to replace the charger.

If, however, it won't charge even then, we are back to the charging circuit being bad (which could mean a motherboard replacement) or the new battery is not good. If it is an aftermarket battery, then that isn't shocking. They can be hit or miss.

Solution