Help me choose my first TV!

mkyend

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hi all :hello:

I'm currently in the market for my first bedroom TV and I need some help on picking out a TV. My budget is around $500-600 right now, may be a little more flexible but I don't want to go too much over that price. The room is relatively small and I plan to have the TV wall-mounted and will be sitting anywhere from 6-10 feet away from the screen. I plan to use it mostly for general TV watching as well as some light gaming and Blu-ray movie watching via my PS3. I don't plan on using it as a computer monitor and I don't think I need any SmartTV features or 3D or anything, although it wouldn't hurt to have them. As far as size goes, I was thinking anywhere from 37" - 42". 42" is probably a little excessive, IMO.

Anyway, if you all would be so kind as to guide me in the right direction, that would be lovely. Thank you!

mkyend

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Yeah, I don't think I'll need any SmartTV stuff. Seems too gimmicky for me. I'm going to be watching the TV from my bed and my PC is at the desk right next to my bed, I can literally roll over and check Twitter if I want so I don't need to be able to do so on my TV.

Thanks for the site, I'll go through some reviews and see what's the best option for me.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I'd check out some of the Sony 40" LCDs, Samsung 4XXX series, and panasonic has some new IPS based panels that look pretty darned good.

Check out hometheater.com for reviews. They mainly reveiw larger sets, but the technology is the same for the different lines, just pick a screen size that fits your room!

ElectronicsFan72

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Here are some more reviews concerning HDTV sets in the 33"-42" range:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-33-42-inch-hdtvs/

I would recommend the Sony KDL-40BX420; it is an outstanding set for <$600, with impressive colors and black levels. Do a search for some deals on this or a similar set, you won't be disappointed.