Help me decide on a TV

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hello everyone, I need a suggestion if you could spare a minute of your time.

I'd like a 4k tv, it seems 55" are about HALF the price of a 65". I'm very budget minded, but at the same time worry if I don't get HDR I'll regret it. And I'm not sure how important finding a TRUE 120hz panel is over a 120hz simulated panel. I play games on consoles like the switch and ps4, I also watch shows, movies etc. I'll most likely be buying a TV during Black Friday / cyber Monday. I don't know how much I should care about HDR, how the panel is lit, local dimming, etc etc etc. I'm coming from a 55" LCD 1080p, so it's all going to be an upgrade, but still.
I've been looking at the 55" Samsung Kohls has ($500 plus $150 back in kohls cash effectively making it $350). The TCL is $399, but I don't think it's a better TV then the Samsung.
I see Sams club has a 65" vizio for $600 but it doesn't have great reviews.
Help me find the best TV for me?

Solution
For movies HDR is more important than 4k. It's certainly more noticeable unless you sit very close to the TV. Local back lights allow dimming (the more zones the better) for better black levels than edge lit sets. Less halos around bright objects on a dark background.
Lower priced 4k TV will have more upscaling and motion artifacts than your old TV since regular HD (1080) has to be processed which it doesn't have to be on your old TV so be careful about that. Just because the TV has more pixels doesn't make the color or black levels better.
Just on a brand basis I would opt for a Samsung myself.
For movies HDR is more important than 4k. It's certainly more noticeable unless you sit very close to the TV. Local back lights allow dimming (the more zones the better) for better black levels than edge lit sets. Less halos around bright objects on a dark background.
Lower priced 4k TV will have more upscaling and motion artifacts than your old TV since regular HD (1080) has to be processed which it doesn't have to be on your old TV so be careful about that. Just because the TV has more pixels doesn't make the color or black levels better.
Just on a brand basis I would opt for a Samsung myself.

Solution

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
What about nits? Would you prefer a TV with lower nits but better contrast? Or worse contrast but brighter