Help me pick a camera for ebay/forum sales.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameronh779

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
First I would like to say, I am new to the forums and am happy to be a part of it.

I am looking for a fairly cheap camera to use for taking pictures of products to sell on forums. ebay, etc. I'm hoping to get some experience with backgrounds and things of that nature and want to have some decent looking photographs of my merchandise. I'm hoping to spend around 100 dollars.

I just simply want a cheap camera that takes decent pictures. I don't need anything too special. Hopefully its a model with some reviews that I can check out and samples of photographs would be almost a necessity for me.

I found an interesting read with a list of cameras for under or around my budget. LINK

Thanks everyone.
cameronh779

Solution

cameronh779

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
That lightbox looks amazing! I would probably build one so its cheaper to mess around with the colors if I want too change to a off-white pastel like Ubrales mentioned. I am going to check out some of those guides you posted in a minute.

cameronh779

cameronh779

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
It seems like I can find some cheap lighting if I find that I don't want to work with natural lighting constantly. Any recommendations or do they all work the same?

cameronh779

USAFRet

Illustrious

I also have multiple pastel color poster boards that can be clamped in for a different background.
(That box isn't mine, but mine is similar, with a top layer. And made of wood.)

cameronh779

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for the guide, I added it to my favorites. I'll probably build one soon after messing around with camera for a bit.

cameronh779

Most cameras have an automatic 'white balance' to correct for lighting other than natural sunlight. 5400 degrees Kelvin is natural sunlight. Artificial lighting is less than 5400 K, and is corrected either by using filters or by editing by using an editing program.

Start by taking plenty of pictures on a regular basis and you will get more and more familiar with the camera capabilities and things you can do to get pictures to look the way you want them to look.

cameronh779

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Well, I think that just about covers it fellas, haha! I can't think of anything else I could ask right now. I hope if I need anything I can count on you two to help me out. I can't thank you enough for what you have done. It is truly appreciated.

cameronh779

twila3223

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
I think you are over-thinking all this IMHO. I sell on Ebay and Etsy. First, the camera: many manufacturers make cameras that do nice, sharp, detailed photos. That is what you want. Nikon makes some models that are better than other models of the same brand due to sensor size, lens, processor, etc. This is true of most major brands such as Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax, etc. Stay away from those "cheapie" cameras you see for under $100 at Walmart like Vivitar, Polaroid, and generic brands. I have bought new and used cameras... Ebay and Amazon have a good policy; if the camera is described as fully functional and is not, you get your money back. I've bought cameras used and have gotten tons of great pics out of them, so don't be afraid. I've also been refunded for cameras that did not work right or were damaged and not disclosed as such. I finally bought a new Olympus OM-D E-M10 ii as my e-commerce and personal "go to" camera with kit lens and love it! Pictures are sharp and items look great. But it was expensive. You can get nice sharp pics with a M43 (micro 4/3rd) camera or DSLR, but they may be more complex to operate, depending on model. A "bridge" camera can do well as would a good point and shoot, though the cropped details may not be quite as sharp or "pop" from the page. I know someone who sells on Ebay and uses an old Nikon Coolpix P510 with decent results and LOTS of sales. The camera does not make the sales... you do! For Ebay, we usually use a solid white background. For Etsy (more creative artsy site), I use white, black, and wood backgrounds, depending on the item. Play with your options and if you are a newbie to Ebay, don't spend a ton of $$$ on cameras and tripods. Save the money and buy a TESTED and WORKING used camera and tripod (make sure it has the camera mount as some tripods are sold used because the mount is missing). It's not an easy way to earn a living; it is very time consuming and requires dedication, good sourcing practices, maintaining your margins, and good customer service/ratings. Put your time and energy on finding great items to sell as bargain prices rather than sweating over a Nikon or Canon point and shoot. Oh... almost forgot.... like most others recommended... spend the time to get to know your camera, experiment, take a lot of shots and note your settings (we prefer P or A (aperture priority) for Ebay with low ISO to prevent noise), and READ the camera's owner's manual!!! If it doesn't come with a manual, you can find them online. As for lighting, my friend uses a light tent with pro photography lights with diffuses... I go outside on my lanai, put a few pieces of white foam board on a table with a box behind to hold up the back, and voila! Different strokes for different folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.