Help Me to Choose a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecaper

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
General Questions

1) What is your budget? INR 22K (about $425)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:
b. Dislike:HCL,ACER (Maybe)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Never

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Web surfing,Casual Gaming,Watching Full HD videos

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
BOTH

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Casual
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

As Much as Possible

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
any
Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

as Big as Possible

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
matte will be better

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I Give them 35% weightage

15) When are you buying this laptop?

as soon as I decide :)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

2 Years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

More the merrier;no

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Nah

This is My first post in this wonderful Forum

I Have Short listed the following laptops - http://www.flipkart.com/computers/compare?ids=COMDFZ8FUGQQMRSG,COMD2TGZGQXY9DWP,COMD3DGXF9DNKVMT,COMD3NGN4ZGMFVZU

Confused Between the Vaio and The Lenovo
I Like Vaio Because -

1.Its Small and light weight (1.46 Kg)
2.Latest AMD APU So Graphics performance will Be Better
3.Its Vaio

I like the Lenovo because
1.Better proccy b800 Has 1471/B950 has 1992 on cpubenchmark.net where vaio's e450 has only 763
2.500GB HDD
3.15.6 inch screen (Still Not sure whether i like it or hate it)

But -

Lenovo weighs almost double of Vaio
Dunno How Vaio's AMD A50M FCH Graphics compares to Lenovo's Mobile Intel HM65 Express Chipset
Dunno about The Display quality of lenovo
On the whole still unsure If lenovo's Extra bulk both in terms of size and weight will be worth it...
and then there Is this Toshiba...its Never easy to Choose :(
Please advise guys

Solution
The sony one is a 'netbook' - a laptop with low end specification and very good portability due to less weight and less power consumption.

All other three are 'notebooks' - standard laptop with less battery life but better performance.

Out of the four you mentioned, performance-wise ranking is:
1.Lenovo Essential G Series G570 (59-306782) Laptop Without Accessories
2.Lenovo Essential G Series G570-(59-310838) Laptop
3.Toshiba Satellite C Series C665-P5010 Laptop With Accessories
4.Sony VAIO YB Series VPCYB35AN Laptop

So basically you cant compare between two different classes of laptops. If you need only a portable solution, then go the high quality built sony. If you want to multi-task (for a certain degree) and need performance...

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
The sony one is a 'netbook' - a laptop with low end specification and very good portability due to less weight and less power consumption.

All other three are 'notebooks' - standard laptop with less battery life but better performance.

Out of the four you mentioned, performance-wise ranking is:
1.Lenovo Essential G Series G570 (59-306782) Laptop Without Accessories
2.Lenovo Essential G Series G570-(59-310838) Laptop
3.Toshiba Satellite C Series C665-P5010 Laptop With Accessories
4.Sony VAIO YB Series VPCYB35AN Laptop

So basically you cant compare between two different classes of laptops. If you need only a portable solution, then go the high quality built sony. If you want to multi-task (for a certain degree) and need performance, you better get the toshiba with B950 processor.

Whatever the case, there are very few choices in that Indian laptop web site.

Try looking for laptops with AMD's A6 or A8 CPU with integrated graphics. Those are the latest and best low end solutions you can get for below $400.

Solution

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Sorry about the toshiba blunder. I meant the laptop with the P950 processor, which is the lenovo.
After searching through a few indian online laptop shops, I guess there is very little choice for you to get a new laptop below 22k.

Just go with the Lenovo G570. The chasis of that model is very solid and the cooling solution works pretty well. Moreover the processor is from the latest low end intel could offer.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.