HELP: MS DOS Algorithm

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alen Kirm

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hello OS experts.
I got a stupid school project because i was ''bad'' or something.
Profesor told me to make a project about algorithm who is used in MS DOS.
There are two algorithms in MS DOS. The first one is Linear, but i have to describe a second one. I have no idea what a name of second algorithm in MS DOS is so hopefully i'll get some help from OS pros on tom's hardware forum. I'd appreciate that ...
At least i'd like to know a name of second algorithm, also url's are welcome.
Been in school library but no luck ... This second algoritm is susposed to be described in some old books ...

Any ideas how to save my life ? Also sorry for my bad english tho.

Alen Kirm

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

First of all, thanks for trying to help me out. Im 100% sure he said, there are 2 algorithms in MS DOS. Linear and x. I have to find a name of x then make a presentation ...

@Alen - you probably know that MS-DOS is an OS (Operating System), in the same sense as Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android are OSes. So, the whole point of "algorithm in MS-DOS" is kind of useless. There are applications (used to be called "programs" is these old days) to perform tasks in MS-DOS (and other OSes), and these application implement certain algorithms in order to do their job.

OK, drop the towel - what is the name of the algorithm you know about?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

All programs, operating systems included, are little more than a whole bunch of algorithms put together.

MS-DOS is a rather small operating system by today's standards, but to claim that it has only two algorithms? That's ridiculous. Either your teacher is a moron or you missed something.

Is he by any chance talking about linear and segmented memory addressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.