HELP! My laptop shuts down immediately after booting up.

AlienFreak

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
HELP! My laptop shuts down after loading Win7 before AntiVirus can load. It happens in safe mode as well. It's a complete shutdown - no restart. The shutdown happens so quickly that it doesn't give you enough time to run an antivirus scan. The laptop had been working fine until this time. No recent changes or upgrades have been made (aside from an Adobe Flash Player update).
My computer is an:

Alienware M18X
i7-2860 processor
16GB RAM
1TB HD
1.5 GB NVidia 560M

I currently have ESET Nod32 antivirus for protection. BTW, I'm a girl and not a total computer nerd (excuse the expression), but I understand a little bit about computers, so I'm not a total moron when it comes to computers either. I'm at a loss when I can't even get into my system though.

I'm having to type this from my smartphone, as I 'm unable to use my computer for anything at this time. So, any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

tavisc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Are your fans running? Something that comes to mind is the CPU overheating, which it'll do if the fans aren't running. Once it gets to a certain temp, the mobo will switch off to protect itself.

AlienFreak

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I haven't got the problem completely sorted yet, but I was finally able to boot into safe mode and VERY quickly get my antivirus open. It's running in that black window (with the c:> prompt), which I'm assuming must've been what prevented my laptop from shutting down. While it's been running, I ran my SuperAntiSpyware and cleaned 443 threats, so we'll see what happens when the AV finishes running, and if I can re-boot normally. I'll keep you posted.

AlienFreak

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Just to update you all. I tried running the antivirus scan but it took all night and just ended up producing a whole screenful of error messages, so I don't know if it actually did much. At that point, I gave up as I was 99% certain it was a virus, and I worked around it by doing a system restore. The reason I thought it was a virus was because I would boot up normally, and I would get in okay, but my desktop would be all messed up (i.e. the font was weird, icons were missing, toolbar was distorted, etc.) and the same thing with any of the programs I opened. Anyway, everything's good right now. I would be interested in knowing what virus it was because ESET did not catch it and neither did any of the online AV scanners I tried. I'm doing a backup disc and system repair disc in case this happens again in the near future. Thank you again for your attempts to help. :)

Parvez Behlim

Estimable
Aug 1, 2014
Hi...
this is Parvez Behlim From Maharashtra India.
remove ur hard drive from ur laptop... and then connect to the other computer or Lappy and then you can Scan it properly...
its a best solution.
then your laptop will work properly.
bye... Gud Luck...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rayxmf Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 9
Aryamaan08 Laptop Tech Support 4
OsamaHad Laptop Tech Support 1
dipudangol Laptop Tech Support 8
M Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 1