Help! My tablet won't turn on! what do I do?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irina12

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hello! I was charging my tablet overnight because it was dead and when I woke up in the morning I took it off the charger because it was up to 80%. I was using it until it just blacked out and I couldn't get it to turn on. I tried EVERYTHING! Please help! If my mum knows, she will get mad!

vivek iyer

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
i have a ASUS Vivotab note8 and i hav already charged with low power chargers for 6 hours yet not working and when i start it up it shows a white light next to the front camera , how should i start my tablet help me! thank you!

RandomFemaleGamer

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
Hello,

I have had this situation before. 9/10 it is probably your charger not working. I disassembled the entire charger, and found out that the usb plug disconnected from the entire wire. I just went online and bought a new charger.
^Try blowing in the charger and your tablet before you do this, that MAY fix your problem.

If this doesn't work, however, there may be a problem with you tablet. Mine's still functioning properly for 5 years now, so there's a lesser chance that the issue is you're tablet

I hope this helps~

goose777

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
I just followed the forums stated below. I took off the back cover (w/ my knife and after getting my SD Micro Card out) and cleaned off the areas around the on/off buttons and the sound buttons. I also unplugged the battery for ~ 10 minutes (the plug just pops up on my Asus Memopad). I put the cover back on and plugged in the charger. The battery icon showed on the front screen and when I tried to start the Memopad the battery icon showed again except this time w/ a red bottom on the battery icon. I let it set while I was writing this reply and looked over and the Memopad was coming on. ??? Something must have locked the Memopad open and ran the battery completely down. It wouldn't start back until I disconnected the battery (as the forums advised) and let the system reboot. Good Luck! GT

rogerlbc

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
To bugz2008. Reply... It actually worked. I took the cover off disconnect the battery cable but pressed the powerbuttpn for like 10 seconds and connected itback. Connected its charger pressed power and the battery showed and wala works. Thank!

DJSULLY

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Note: The solution is pretty simple.
Unplug the Battery cable (internal cable) and wait 10 min. Plug it back in and replace the back cover. It should restart normally.

Note: the Battery cable unplugs by gently lifting up on the connector

As stated below and elsewhere, carefully open the back of the tablet (use a table knife with a long straight edge, don't use the serrated edge). Here is a link to a YouTube video demonstrating how to open the case. http://youtu.be/toIhrEzHYxU

Best Wishes to your success.

dinore

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014

omg! the same thing happened to mine, it was charging and then I tried to turn it on and nothing happened! I really would like some help.

kennedya

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Just bought two of these tablets gor Christmas, and am having the same issue with both. I am sending them back but would like to wipe them before sending them back. It seems like the above solution will work, but how do I get the back cover off??

RRGear

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
My girlfriend and I both have ASUS MeMo Pad. Nice tablet, but battery is quite problem and issue. You can not fully discharge, because battery and charger loose their minds and can not charge and power it back, If charged, you can not leave it plugged in either, since it is not good for the battery. Our first tablet died, was within warranty, ASUS fixed it, provided some half-ass explanation, it was horrible experience with ASUS, never ASUS product again. It is working, but charging is very , very slow.

Our second tablet died, too. Followed instructions as posted above, opened tablet, disconnected battery, reconnected back after 15 minutes, then plugged back in slow USB charge (laptop USB port), showing some sign of life, flashed red battery sign on the screen when plugged in.
You can see on You Tube video how to do all that.
Soon after plugged in regular charger, showed charging, and after couple of hours I was able to power it up, it was working.

this does fix mentioned problem, but count that this tablet was not designed to be opened by average user, so it is defective product

stanna

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hi my sons Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 wouldnt turn on or charge just kept trying to charge and then showing empty battery with a timer then resetting. Tried everything and as I repair iphones etc decided screen had to come out to reset battery. Just about to start when I decided one last thing to try:

took it to my car and plugged the lead into my cigar lighter adapter from my old HTC Desire phone. Started engine to keep power up and battery charging icon stayed on for a few seconds longer. Left it as i got a phone call with a blank screen. Call lasted 10 mins (in the car with engine running). Pressed power button and BINGO 2% charge.
Waited till got to 4% then took it back in house and plugged it back into mains charger and were up to 22% with the Tab fired up and working fine.

If this has been posted before I apologise but everything is good with Tab 3. No screen removal or resets or button combination presses.
Hope this helps someone

Stanna

Arw6055

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
. ----------------> THIS WORKED FOR MY SONS ASUS MEMOPAD 7. THANK YOU SO MUCH! ONLY THING I WANT TO ADD IS THAT THE BATTERY ON HIS TABLET HAD CAME UNPLUGGED COMPLETELY ON ITS OWN...IT WAS THE STRANGEST THING, BUT BY TAKING THE BACK OFF AND CHECKING THE BATTERY, WE WERE ABLE TO FIX IT!

Sara Finn

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I had the exact same thing happen to my tablet and all I did was put a tooth pic and put it in the reset button hole and I pushed it down and hold down the power button at the same time and it turned on.

*Hope this helps

jose dejesus

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

Fixed !!! I put a 500mah kiocera changer and instally the light turn on white y press the sleep buton and voila !! Its alive full charge ! I love dude !!!!

sidh

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
If tablet is not switching on there might be no of reasons that cause this. If it is software then you have to flash your tab.
If it is due to hardware, then there is 90% probability that is due to battery. Carbon, dust, loose wire, short circuit etc can be cause. See here for 15 possible reason for tablet not switching on, one of these might fix yours.
http://mytabletguru.com/android-tablet-not-turning-on-reasons-solution/

So Happy

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
Okay. I was very unsure about removing the back cover of my asus tablet me173x to detach the battery and wait a few minutes then press it back in. After 2 days of trying everything else which includes pressing and holding the power button, then the power and volume button together for long periods of time. I just knew it had to be the battery. The battery went dead and my tablet wouldn't come on no matter what I did. So i carefully opened it up after watching a video of a Russian guy taking my tablet apart and seeing how he lifted the battery. I did what he did with the battery, waited a few minutes and voila!!!! Back in business after plugging in charger it came on within minutes. I'm posting this because I was so happy! I thought my tablet was dead after 1 year of use. I hope this helps someone. Good luck :)

Bryan 134

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

Just press power button and volume up button down for 15 seconds and the charge screen will pop up, then just press power to power on the device!

Feb 18, 2015
You should try taking out the battery and putting it back it.
Remember, this is a delicate tablet. I sat on my bed while I did this, in case I dropped it while removing the back plate.
I know the back doesn't even seem like it comes off, but it does. Use a card, like an ID card, and stick a corner of it in the thin space between the glass and plastic back. Press in, not too hard, and drag it along the crease. Don't pull the back off until you pop it all the way around. The back should then come off with little effort. The battery is the black square connected with a few wires to a tiny plug. Lift this plug up and out to disconnect. Wait a good five minutes before reconnecting.
Be careful not to touch anything else, make sure your hands are clean before working on your tablet. Gently push the plug back in and replace the back panel, be sure it clicks all the back in.
Now try turning it on.

John Jenkins

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
I had the exact same problem.... Twice.. I had RCA send a replacement tablet after it happened the first time. I waited over a month to get it and had to pay lots to ship it here to Japan. Anyways after a month of waiting I finally received it. I turned it on and got everything installed, and then shut it down... Exactly the same damn thing happened.... It wouldn't boot up.... At this point I'm ready to smash both of the things to smithereens and then fly to China to stick all the millions of jagged little pieces slowly up the head CEO's ass... Instead by some very large miracle I had an epiphony and didn't do just that... Instead I decided I'm going to push this fucking power button until I can't anymore before I smash it and go through with what I described before... So after about 5 minutes and a cramped as fuck thumb, bing... It fires up.... So then I decide to try the same thing to my old one .... Low and behold after what seemed like an eternity .... Bing that one fires up too.. In fact its what I'm writing this long winded reply on.. Even after me taking it apart at least 3 times and putting it back together. Now both tablets fire up normally, and I'd be willing to bet that if yours isn't starting, that's the problem. Both of mine still have a slight burnt smell coming out of them. And I'd be willing to bet its because they are shipping them charged and something fries in them when they go trough xray machines and whatever else they go trough when shipped from china's vagina..

amralieg

Estimable
Mar 7, 2015
I had asus memopad 8 and I had the same issue, I open the cover and found some wire not connected (looks like the screen wire), simply I connected it and every thing back to business.

Status
Not open for further replies.