Help picking a laptop for college/gaming

glabius

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hey guys I'm not too knowledgeable about laptops, laptops for gaming, etc, so I hope I don't get flamed (first time posting here)
I'm a current "pc gamer" of sorts I guess. My grandparents are buying me a graduation present of a laptop within the range of 1-2 grand (how rad.. the biggest gift i will probably ever recieve haha), I was wondering if you guys would be able to advise me on all the laptop trends and what I might need for what I want to do? I dont NEED to fill the budget of $2,000 if that makes sense, but for example, if a $1,700 laptop is CONSIDERABLY better than a $1,200 laptop, then I would want the more expensive one. But I am not sure about how much better a laptop gets in those higher price ranges. Anyways Here is some more information of what I'll be using this for:

- I have a keyboard, mouse & monitor that I would want to be able to connect to the laptop (which will be considerably better than my $400 gaming desktop, lol) is this possible? Use the laptop like a laptop when I'm out, and be able to connect it to a monitor/keyboard/mouse to use it like a desktop?
- Windows
- I don't play anything THAT demanding (starcraft 2, dota 2, CS:GO, are my major games) but I would prefer that I have the ability to not be outdated within 4 years of me going to college.
- Weigh a reasonable amount. I'm not sure what other people would have to say about this (obviously I don't have experience in the area of lugging around a laptop), but it seems to me like it wouldn't be a huge deal for it to be super lightweight.
- And generally the best I can get within that price range. Like I said, if there is not a notable difference between a $1,500 laptop and a $2,000 one, then I don't care, but if there is a drastic difference in the quality of the hardware then I would take a more expensive one.

Edit: figured I would add this

1. What is your budget?
1-2 grand

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not sure exactly. 19 '? 21 ' ? around that range. Maybe people know the optimum size or their preference, would like to hear what people have to say.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 maybe more, is that possible?

5. How much battery life do you need?
Whatever is standard should be fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
SC2, CS:GO, Dota 2, max settings

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb - 1 TB should be fine

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg? Wherever is best bang for buck.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I want it to not be outdated feeling in 4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd rom/cd burner

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't know much about laptop brands. If people have bad/good experiences with ones I would love to hear it.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
You should really consider getting a gaming desktop AND a light weight laptop.

I know from experience you don't want to be tugging around a massive gaming laptop to class to take notes. They are huge, heavy, and the battery life sucks.

For $2000 you could get a nice $500 laptop and a really nice $1500 desktop.

And if you ever decide to take classes where you need more horsepower than a laptop, you always have your desktop which can be upgraded.

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
^+1 thats what im doing next year. Im planning to bring my desktop to college then getting a mid line laptop for taking notes in class. I like lleveno, asus, and samsung for laptops.

glabius

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

That's a very good point and I just might do that. I feel like classwise all that is required for a laptop is basically microsoft office and internet with good multitasking. And $1000+ is a hell of a gaming computer if you already have the peripherals