Help picking my first TV

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, I am preparing to buy my first real TV.. I am not made of money, but am looking to get something around 50 inches, with the best picture possible for the money. I have been doing some looking around the internet, but still would prefer getting some help from the community
I am not experienced in what brands are good (Other than Samsung)

-4k is preferred but not a deal breaker..
-Curved is nice, but likely out of my price range (want to stay under $1000)
-OLED? yea... im poor.
-Smart TV? Prefered but not a deal breaker, since everything can run netflix nowadays.

So basically.. I want some help and recomendations on what brand names to look for, and what might be the best picture I can get on a 55" TV for under $1000.
All feedback will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to gaining some knowledge on TVs and making my first major TV purchase. Thanks!

Solution
Not often do you hear "not made of money" and next line is "spend $1,000" on a TV LOL

For a decent budget brand, Vizio is good. I'd avoid brands like RCA, Sharp, Westinghouse, Insignia.

Samsung has 4k 120 refresh rate sets 48" or so for well under 1k. I am looking at a model at BJs for $600, 48" Smart TV 4k.

I'd just look for a used set, people get all exited, buy a pricy TV then realize they spent their rent or car payment money to watch Walking Dead and sell it for a 30% or more loss in a few months. I paid $170 I think for a 1080p 37" TV a few years ago, figure by time it dies or I want a larger one, it will cost me less than a dollar a week LOL

Not often do you hear "not made of money" and next line is "spend $1,000" on a TV LOL

For a decent budget brand, Vizio is good. I'd avoid brands like RCA, Sharp, Westinghouse, Insignia.

Samsung has 4k 120 refresh rate sets 48" or so for well under 1k. I am looking at a model at BJs for $600, 48" Smart TV 4k.

I'd just look for a used set, people get all exited, buy a pricy TV then realize they spent their rent or car payment money to watch Walking Dead and sell it for a 30% or more loss in a few months. I paid $170 I think for a 1080p 37" TV a few years ago, figure by time it dies or I want a larger one, it will cost me less than a dollar a week LOL

Solution
Oh good lord. Buying is a TV has got so many variables, functional as well as subjective, we'd be here all day.

I will concentrate on the audio portion, because most first time folks leave that unplanned then bring the TV home and find out why they can't do certain things.

If you are planing to use the built-in speakers, read the reviews and make sure it's decent.

If you have a full-blown AV receiver with discrete speakers this is the most versatile setup and will work with most TV with minimum limitation.

If you are interested in something simpler like one of those self-powered soundbars, good I hate 'em, they are very limited and may not play surround from your TV unless the TV has surround pass-thru which seem to be a rare feature and often not clearly specified. Here you want the most hookup options possible: Analog RCA, toslink, hdmi.

They will want more$$ for Smart feature, I say don't waste your $$ here, you will get better smart via external boxes like a Roku.