HELP!!! Possible Malware/Virus!!!!!

Speedstang

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Ok I'm starting to panic. I was just searching something on google when I randomly got some page saying Google detected unusual traffic or something like that, and it made me solve a captcha thing to continue using Google every time I did a search. Anyways I looked up some info, and I'm becoming really paranoid that I have some sort of Virus or Malware on my computer. This is my soon to be upgraded gaming machine and I cannot afford another one, if I lose this I'm finished. What do I do? I tried using a different browser (It was happening on Chrome) and the issue didn't happen anymore, so I'm guessing it was associated with chrome. I went into the Chrome settings and wiped all the cache, history, even saved passwords, I only left cookies because I have some stuff I don't wanna lose. Anyways, this seemed to solve the problem, but is my PC infected? How can I be sure it's ok? Just please don't ask me to download an antivirus, I hate those things. On some of my past computers, every time I had an antivirus the computer somehow got infected....... I've been running this one for several months with no antivirus and no issues whatsoever, well until now. Anyways, what do I do?

Solution
Windows Defender has passed certification in several years.

Use Bitdefender FREE with Malwarebytes FREE.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
And what antivirus program are you running?

Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015
By Tom’s Guide Staff AUGUST 11, 2015 3:20 PM

Without a good antivirus program, you are going to always catch a ton of viruses. There are people out there who make a living off of infecting other peoples computers. Once they have your computer infected, they can literally take over your system and do what they want with it. Which includes sending out spam from your system, using your system to infect other computers just like yours is, and using your computer to store stolen data on, until they find a buyer for that data, and then turning over passwords to the person that bought the data on your system so that your machine is now under the control of this new person.

Read the article I linked above. It was published just 2 weeks ago. Some of the anti-virus and anti-malware programs are even free. Those are covered on page 5.

Speedstang

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

None, but the ones that got me messed up in the past were McAfee, Norton, Avast, AVg, etc. But that's not the issue! Is my PC alright or is something wrong?

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Avast, AVG, Bit-defender are all good ones.

You probably spend far too much time downloading Torrents if you keep getting buried by viruses.

You have to have some anti-virus program running or you are just going to get hammered more every day.

Speedstang

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

I've had tons of issues with antiviruses in the past, I don't want a repeat. For example, I used to have Avast, the free version, on a different PC a few years ago, and within like a month I got some kind of virus, my system was running slow and being glitchy, but when I would try to scan with Avast or do anything, it would just say there was an error and do nothing............ Eventually the functions on it just wouldn't work at all and my PC just died shortly after.

Speedstang

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

The only things I download are games from Steam, and can't I just use Windows Defender? It's the only one that never gave me a problem.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You do need to learn how to maintain your system. Its a lot like a car. If you do not learn how to drive, you are going to hit things. You need to learn how to tell when you are running low on fuel, how to check the oil so the motor will keep running.

You cannot just torrent all day and all night and expect things to just keep chugging along without problems.

Durende

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
I recommend BitDefender and Malwarebytes too. If you don't want an antivirus program, that's your own choice, even though it's heavily recommended, but at least download Malwarebytes. You only use it to scan and remove what harmfull stuff it finds, it doesn't actively prevent anything, so it will not do anything unless you make it.

Durende

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
Yes. If they do, you downloaded a false version from a fake site, or you're doing something else very wrong. They work perfectly fine for me.

Download them from their own websites, and you'll be fine.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Run this, they are all on-demand scanners only:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Then, delete your Google Chrome and all other browsers you have and disable internet explorer. Without a real-time antivirus it is unsafe to browse the internet

If you do decide to use Bitdefender free then you may keep all of your browsers.

Th3-Hunter333

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

Ive been using malewarebytes for many years now, if it gives you any trouble then you definitely did not get a real version of malewarebytes.

I would also like to say that i dont quite agree with the advice of uninstalling all your browsers because you are unsafe to browse the network.

This is simply not true at all, as long as you have any clue what you are doing and dont click on every single advertisement or strange link you see then you are safe.

I speak this from years of experience and have never ran a active antivirus other than malewarebytes whenever i feel i might have to run a scan (i dont have virus trouble on my gaming system, or if i do.. its gone in mere seconds)

For anyone like me, you dont like anything at all running in the background that you dont want running (for example, antiviruses)

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Yeah for experience they can get away with no antivirus but you can never know for sure that your computer is clean unless you're really caution. Even if you done your all of your research on malware and how to be safe, I still prefer to have an antivirus for assurance. For him being inexperience, I can't recommend him using the internet without an antivirus...

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
From what you have said, you:

A) Have no virus protection now, intentionally.
B) Are infected with at least one virus now.
C) Have no way to remove whatever is affecting your system now.
D) Keep doing things that cause your systems to get infected. Even when you have had AV protection.

Good Anti-Virus software will protect you. But if you download tons of torrent files, which I highly suspect, you are most likely going to get infected no matter what you run. Torrent files may be free up front, but you pay dearly for them in the long run.

I am going to link this one more time. Read through this. You will learn things. Understand what you learn.

Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015
By Tom’s Guide Staff AUGUST 11, 2015 3:20 PM

Speedstang

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

Alright alright, I was wrong, all you guys are experts and are all saying the same thing o_O
Anyways, 2 things: First off, I'll be getting Malwarebytes for sure and probably Bitdefender as well.
Second, what are torrent files?????

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Peer 2 peer files you download to get free stuff. Malicious people would use free software to bait people to download their malware. Malwarebytes free is good for pup and Bitdefender is a excellent choice for a free antivirus. If interested on another layer of security you can also get Malwarebyte Anti-Exploit free from their website. It block malwares attempt that take advantage of your java and browsers security holes.