Help setting up my sister's laptop

MikeTheMK

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
Hi,

I tried my best but I need help from someone better than me. It's about my sister's brand new laptop.

So we got her the ASUS E402SA, specs below:

Intel Celeron N3060, 1.60 - 2.48 GHz, 2MB, Dual-Core
Intel HD 400 Graphics
4GB DDR3L (onboard)
64GB eMMC SSD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
14" Full HD 1920 x 1080

Her intentions with it are very basic: school work, social media, Netflix and YouTube. Maybe some VERY light gaming.

Right off the bat when we booted up the computer and installed the OS, 50GB of the memory, gone. I read that W10 should take ~20GB of space? This was a shock to me. I removed some pre-installed, unnecessary stuff and now she has 17GB available.

The computer's disk usage is at 100% almost all the time. Everything lags; the cursor, YouTube, Netflix, just everything...

- I disabled Windows Search and Superfetch but sadly it made no difference.
- I tried turning the resolution down but it was an instant no; everything looked so funky...
- Tried both Chrome and Edge, didn't see much of a difference in performance or disk usage.

I did other things as well but I can't remember everything.

She wanted the laptop to be white and was not willing to spend more than €300, so it was a hard choice. Especially since I am from Finland, everything is so expensive.

Please give me tips and tricks. Lifehacks. Anything.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Sadly that is a very basic computer. It may have difficulties with some multimedia playback.

20GB is the minimum the OS can take up. Your typical image from a vendor likely has a recovery partition consuming some of the space. Also keep in mind that you didn't have 64GB to start with, after formatting it will be smaller than that.

Disk usage at 100% implies that the system is using more than 4GB of memory and is using virtual memory on the disk. eMMC flash is soldered to the board, so there isn't really anything you can do about that. The same is possibly true of the memory. (More would certainly be better for today's internet browsing)

As a last resort you could try ready boost with a USB flash drive (Or SD card if applicable) or put the swap file there. That would at least give the drive some breathing room.

MikeTheMK

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
Thanks for the answers, that's a bummer. There is a 12 month warranty for it, though I don't know if it's possible to get the money back... Surely it should be, hopefully, but I don't know. I will ask the store tomorrow or monday morning and post here then.

Thank you.