Help transfering Windows to clean install on SSD

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I bought a cheap Windows 7 Acer laptop about 3 years ago. I was considering buying a new laptop, but now I am thinking I would rather just upgrade it to an SSD, but the only part I am unsure how to do is transfer the Windows install.

The laptop did not come with a Windows install disc, so is it possible to burn a DVD to install it or something? I want to do a clean install on the SSD, but I don't want to buy a new Windows license. What is my best option?

Specifically it is an Acer Aspire 5750-6667, i3-2330m I bought at Costco.

Solution
Upgrading your Acer Aspire 5750-6667 hard drive from the standard drive to an SSD is a good idea. Starting fresh is also a great idea. I would not suggest imaging that drive, but instead installing fresh from a recovery disk. The manufacturer may have included one with your computer when you bought it, if not then you need to purchase it

http://www.recovery-disks.com/acer-aspire-5750-6667.html

That is a third party that we've used to buy recovery disks for computers. It comes with instructions on how to install it onto your new SSD. This will wipe out anything and everything on that drive. Including viruses/malware.

We've used recovery-disks.com before you buy disks and they are pretty good. They take a few days to mail out...

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I'm looking at system information. It looks like Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601.

I'm guessing it's 32 bit since "System Directory C:\Windows\system32" has the 32 at the end, and it only has 4GB of RAM. Not sure if there is a better way to tell.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks, it actually is 64 bit.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Upgrading your Acer Aspire 5750-6667 hard drive from the standard drive to an SSD is a good idea. Starting fresh is also a great idea. I would not suggest imaging that drive, but instead installing fresh from a recovery disk. The manufacturer may have included one with your computer when you bought it, if not then you need to purchase it

http://www.recovery-disks.com/acer-aspire-5750-6667.html

That is a third party that we've used to buy recovery disks for computers. It comes with instructions on how to install it onto your new SSD. This will wipe out anything and everything on that drive. Including viruses/malware.

We've used recovery-disks.com before you buy disks and they are pretty good. They take a few days to mail out, but once you get them, you should be up and running in a couple of hours.

Acer Aspire 5750-6667 recovery disk set is what you want to use to reinstall the operating system. There is somethings an option to burn or make these discs, but in my experience, that carries over whatever problems you had before onto your brand new hard drive. You want to try and keep it clean, preferably by starting over fresh with the recovery discs and not installing any junk on them.

Solution