Help upgrading Laptop

danielclifster

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6700 laptop for a number of years now. I would like to upgrade it? What should I do to improve the laptop ?? When I did my Windows Experience Index my score was 3.5. Individual Scores were Processor: 5.6; Memory (RAM) 5.6; Graphics 3.5; Gaming Graphics 5.3; Primary hard disk 5.3.

Does anyone have suggestions to upgrade my laptop? if so could you direct me to websites and the actually parts to purchase?

or

People have suggested it maybe wiser to purchase a new laptop? but i enjoy using my HP...

Any suggestions would be fantastic :)

Daniel

Solution
Generally speaking, it's very rare that you can improve on your laptop graphics. Normally, you could install more RAM and swap hard drive. Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck. The other issue with upgrading laptops is that you have to take into consideration power and cooling concerns. Faster, larger, or more components generally require more power and cooling than perhaps your current solution can provide.

Regardless, looking at the possible specs of your system, it looks like each model is already maxed out. You could possible swap out the hard drive with an SSD, but that would require reinstalling your OS. Do you have the disks that came with your laptop?

Also, on the link I provided, could you click over to the...

sergeantserk

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
Personally, I bought a HP laptop just like you (this year) that has an AMD APU and I love it! I can edit well, game well but of course you can't play AAA game titles. Still worth it. My suggestion is to look around for laptop improvements before going for another one. Here is the laptop I bought: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6454631#!tab=features
As for improving your laptop graphics, if it was an APU, then just buy faster graphics, since the APU depends on really fast memory access.

Generally speaking, it's very rare that you can improve on your laptop graphics. Normally, you could install more RAM and swap hard drive. Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck. The other issue with upgrading laptops is that you have to take into consideration power and cooling concerns. Faster, larger, or more components generally require more power and cooling than perhaps your current solution can provide.

Regardless, looking at the possible specs of your system, it looks like each model is already maxed out. You could possible swap out the hard drive with an SSD, but that would require reinstalling your OS. Do you have the disks that came with your laptop?

Also, on the link I provided, could you click over to the "Models" tab and specify exactly which model you have?

-Wolf sends

Solution
Try going to Start --> Control Panel --> Systems and Security --> Systems
That should tell you which processor you have and it's speed as well as the total amount of RAM you have installed.

If you click Start --> Computer and look under Local Disk C:
That should tell you how much free space of total space you have. We're looking for total space here to get the size of your hard drive.

With those pieces of information, you should be able to determine exactly which model you have.

Of course, it may be listed on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop or it may even be listed if you run a DxDiag.
;)

-Wolf sends

danielclifster

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
ok it's

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 2.10GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
System Type: 64bit operation system

when i clicked on computer - local disk c - 78.7GB free of 285GB

can you tell from this information??

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find it. Your specs do not match any of the models on the site I linked and apparently there are 146 variations of the US DV6700 and 221 variations overseas. Given the specs you've listed, though, I would expect the only upgrade you might be able to make would be replacing the Hard Drive with a larger (and thus very expensive) SSD.

-Wolf sends