Help with a dead laptop

Brent555

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi,
I got a laptop (HP 14-d005AU) I cannot start. The power comes on (the screen, keys light up and work I can still use ctrl alt del to make it restart, fan goes on) but I get nothing else. The screen stays black and it doesn't even begin the bios. I thought it was something wrong with Win10 and the problem I was having with the disk usage being 100% but everything died after I tried to use EasyRE and changed the boot settings to load from dvd first and disabled secure boot when I couldn't get it to boot. I think the motherboard might be screwed but I'm really not sure. I tried removing everything from the motherboard except the display but it's still the same. Is there anyway I can find out if it's specifically the motherboard or the cpu or something else? Not really keen to guess at buying replacement parts. Everything happened from that disk usage problem I had so was it possible the disk being used 100% for so long could have done something to it?

Any help is appreciated thanks

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will get stuck on the black screen again do reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- Next to try if these 2 steps will not work is to connect an external monitor if you can hear the laptop on and with the fans spinning.
- If you'll get a display from the external monitor your next step would be to check the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the motherboard.
- The last troubleshooting steps that I can suggest is to remove the HDD off the laptop and see if it will boot up or not because if this will still not work the problem is still the motherboard.