help with audio setup

smurillo1

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I moved into a new house that was already wired with speakers. The wires are already in the wall and come out into a room where I can connect all the equipment. My question is, how can I figure out what wire goes to what speaker? Will it mess anything up if I hook up 1 at a time and listen to what I am hearing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You can connect one speaker at a time to your audio system so you can label them.
Another way to do it is to use a AA battery. Connect the minus battery terminal to one speaker wire and tap the other speaker wire to the plus as you or a helper listens.
That will cause a clicking sound in the speaker when the woofer moves due to the dc voltage of the battery.
You can connect one speaker at a time to your audio system so you can label them.
Another way to do it is to use a AA battery. Connect the minus battery terminal to one speaker wire and tap the other speaker wire to the plus as you or a helper listens.
That will cause a clicking sound in the speaker when the woofer moves due to the dc voltage of the battery.

Solution