Help with audio setup

videoluvr

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
I have a pair of klipsch rf-82 speakers that are 8 months old.My integrated amp is an onkyo A-7 and its made in the seventies.Im just not getting very good sound out of the speakers.They are just dull and seem to be distorting at higher volume levels.I have an onkyo eq connected also and it seems to be ok.Im sure my amp could use a recapping and new transistors and it would sound better but I want to know if anyone has any idea why it is sounding so crappy.

Solution
Your speakers are quite efficient and so should play very loud with the 65 watts per channel that you have in the Onkyo. If the EQ is connected using the preamp out - amp in on the A-7 try connecting it to the tape monitor loop. This will ensure that you don't overload the input of the EQ. It will also let you defeat the EQ to see if that is the problem. Do not set the EQ to boost more than 3db (set the other controls down to create the same curve but below the 0db line). Also check that you have not damaged any of the speakers. Put your ear to each to make sure they are working and don't make any noises. Try this a different volumes. If a tweeter is blown you might not notice it since the other is still working. Both speakers...
Your speakers are quite efficient and so should play very loud with the 65 watts per channel that you have in the Onkyo. If the EQ is connected using the preamp out - amp in on the A-7 try connecting it to the tape monitor loop. This will ensure that you don't overload the input of the EQ. It will also let you defeat the EQ to see if that is the problem. Do not set the EQ to boost more than 3db (set the other controls down to create the same curve but below the 0db line). Also check that you have not damaged any of the speakers. Put your ear to each to make sure they are working and don't make any noises. Try this a different volumes. If a tweeter is blown you might not notice it since the other is still working. Both speakers should sound the same so set the A-7 mode to mono and check for this.
If there is a problem with the A-7 then it will sound wrong on other speakers so see if you can try another pair.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS