Solved! Help with Dell Latitude D800 need 2 drivers and sound issue

JanetBiggar

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
I have an older Dell D800 (about 10 years old) that is/was functioning fine. I am not a techie, however have been teaching myself how to wipe & reinstall various windows OS and drivers for several difference donated computers that I then lace with disadvantaged youth in South Africa when I am there doing volunteer work. My problem is that I had to wipe and reload the OS on it as the youth who had it picked up a virus. PRIOR to this it was working fine with Win XP and while initially I struggled to get the sound working I managed to do something (just can't remember!) and got it working. Since getting it back, wiping and reloading XP everything worked and device manager had NO yellow ?s BUT no sound. So I decided to see if loading Win 2000 might allow me to resolve the sound issue. So currently my questions are:
1) I have 2 yellow question marks Network controller and PCI device.
2) initially all the "other devices" had the yellow question marks, but I downloaded the proper drivers for those and transferred them to the computer via a USB.
Can anyone help? I have gone into problem devices but the full VEN&DEV number does not show.

Lastly should I go back to XP OS as when I loaded that I managed to get rid of ALL the yellow question marks HOWEVER still struggled to get sound working! The sound was working prior to giving it to the youth so I can't believe the sound card has suddenly gone.