Help with headphones

krinkles619

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey there! first off, thanks for reading and helping me with this, it's much appreciated.

So on to my question. I'm a gamer and i love listening to various types of music (just about everything, really) and as such i'm looking for a really good set of headphones. honestly though i'm really an ignoramus when it comes to audio, so bear with me please. i am a gamer, so i'd really like to have a microphone but it's not mandatory. i listen to a LOT of music, of all types, and i would love to get a set of headphones that can make me go into a coma from listening to amazing sounds coming out of the headphones. i have a lot of vinyls and i'm sure i'll end up plugging directly into my sound system at night. i was also looking around and there's 5.1, 7.1 and circumaural headsets? which i suppose means surround sound on your ears. that would be great if possible, but not something i absolutely have to have.

unfortunately, my new rig didn't have room for a sound card, though my motherboard (Rampage III Gene) has built-in Sound Blaster X-Fi 2 (or something), so i don't know how that will affect what i can or can't get.

anyway, tl;dr is this:

i want a high-quality pair of over-ear headphones
i would prefer to have a microphone, but not required
i want them to play sounds from games or music with amazing sound quality
i'll treat them carefully of course, but some durability would be good so they last a long time
preferably keep the cost under 200USD but can do 250USD if they're worth it

again, thanks for helping!

-Krinkles

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Beyer, Grado, and Sennheiser all make excellent over ear headphones for $100 or less. I just picked up Sennheiser HD 202 MK Pros ridiculously cheap on Amazon and they sound awsome. You can then spend the savings somewhere else in your system or simply save it. Works for me but there are more expensive phones out there if you want (some from these same companies). Anyway good luck,
Dave