Help with Home Theater Components.

Mail2mohd

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
I have 4 ceiling speakers, each installed at 4 corners of room. Now I need help regarding subwoofer and a home theater receiver.
1. My HDTV does not support HDMI (ARC) but has two plain HDMI slot and a digital optical audio cable slot. My DVD and Set top box will be connected to the receiver. For the video output from the receiver to the TV I'm thinking of RGB cable through MONITOR OUT. Will there be difference in video quality if I choose RGB video output receiver and not HDMI video output receiver?
2. I need a subwoofer. I was thinking of going with Yamaha Yst-Sw012 or Philips HTL2163B/12. The Philips one comes with a soundbar too. Now can I use that soundbar as a center unit of Home theater and also connect the subwoofer and soundbar to the Home Theater receiver?
lwe0a
[/img]

3. Is center unit necessary in a Home Theater setup?
Thanks alot

Solution
1. If your TV has HDMI then you want to use the HDMI out of the receiver. Much better picture quality. Component won't output in HD either. You couldn't use the component output unless you had component out on the set top box and DVD since while the receiver might convert component to HDMI it won't convert HDMI to component.. You can use the TV optical out to the receiver for the built in tuner or smart functions of the Tv.
2. Unless your receiver has a line level center output you would need a speaker to line level converter to use the soundbar as a center. Overall the Yamaha sub will be better than the one that comes with the soundbar.
3. Yes especially since the placement of the front left and right speakers is incorrect. The center...
1. If your TV has HDMI then you want to use the HDMI out of the receiver. Much better picture quality. Component won't output in HD either. You couldn't use the component output unless you had component out on the set top box and DVD since while the receiver might convert component to HDMI it won't convert HDMI to component.. You can use the TV optical out to the receiver for the built in tuner or smart functions of the Tv.
2. Unless your receiver has a line level center output you would need a speaker to line level converter to use the soundbar as a center. Overall the Yamaha sub will be better than the one that comes with the soundbar.
3. Yes especially since the placement of the front left and right speakers is incorrect. The center speaker is where all the dialogue comes from. Clarity is very important with the center channel so a good one is well worth the expense.

Solution