Cyberbustered

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
:bounce: Hi, I'm taring to work on JAVA at home, but I cant compile it. The SciTe additor gives me this message: >javac Bookseller.java>The system cannot find the file specified.
Please help me to make it work. I heard that the path might be a problem. but i dont know how to change it. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
when the complier goes to do its job, it looks for the files it needs, in this case some where you have indicated that Bookseller.java is located at a particular place, when the compiler goes to look for that file, its not where you said, so its giving you this error, only you know where you entered that info, locate and change it.

Find a good java tutorial and go slow and step by step, till you get the hang of things, have you done "Hello World" yet? if not then get a good tutorial and it will start you with that.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Are you doing this from the command prompt? If so you have to navigate to the folder where your java program Bookseller.java is located.

The command is called 'cd' for change directory, so to compile your program you would want to do something like:

cd C:\location\of\java\program\
javac Bookseller.java

Another command that may help is the command which lists all of the files in the current directory. In windows, this command is 'dir', and in linux it is 'ls'.

If I didn't understand your problem correctly, let me know.

Good luck! :)