help with new audio setup

pusiesicker21

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hi, I recently got a new laptop and monitor. My old setup was a laptop with some speakers plugged into the headphone jack so I could listen to music. Now with this new monitor, I want to bypass the audio in it and play sound from my much better sounding Bose speakers. The monitor is connected to the pc using an HDMI. When I plug the speaker cord into the headphone jack on the pc all I get is buzz, and the same if I try to plug it into the back of the monitor where it says "audio IN" (and there's 2 holes, one has a little headphone symbol). I'm not very savvy, just an old lady. What am I doing wrong or am I missing a special cord? Thank you!

Solution
Plug the Bose into the headphone jack on the monitor. That is an audio output.
Or leave them connected to the PC. Change your audio device from HDMI back to the default that you have been using previously. The only advantage to using the monitor headphone jack is if you have other sources connected to the monitor that you need to connect to the Bose.

pusiesicker21

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from pusiesicker21 : "Bose desktop speakers with new monitor"

I have recently purchased a Samsung monitor and Dell Inspiron laptop. I have a pair of desktop speakers that I had hooked up to my old laptop in my office to listen to music while working. I want to use these speakers instead of the audio from the monitor, as the sound from the Bose is superior. I'm an old lady and don't know much about audio stuff. The monitor is connected to the pc via HDMI. When I plug the cord from my speaker to the pc I only get a buzz, and same when I plug it into the back of the monitor where it says audio in (also a little headphone symbol). Am I doing something wrong or missing some cable? Thank you

Plug the Bose into the headphone jack on the monitor. That is an audio output.
Or leave them connected to the PC. Change your audio device from HDMI back to the default that you have been using previously. The only advantage to using the monitor headphone jack is if you have other sources connected to the monitor that you need to connect to the Bose.

Solution

pusiesicker21

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Thank You very much for taking the time to answer my question. I knew it was something simple! Still trying to find my way around on this new equipment. It was a matter of changing the default to my Bose. Cheers.