Help with optical audio (SPDIF) using onboard audio

arlemedra

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
I'm trying to connect to my new receiver using SPDIF out, because I can't get it to work any other way (HDMI isn't recognized, no sound from RCA), but am having problems because windows 8.1 won't recognize that anything is being plugged in (whether it be an hdmi cable or my optical cable). Yes, my optical cable is working because yes there is a red LED that is on. I am using an ASUS z87 plus motherboard with Realtek audio installed, and as my graphics card I have a Sapphire 7970. Please help I am at my wits end because I bashed my head against a wall with the same problem with an old receiver for a week or two. Yes I have read the manuals and am using the right input setting on my receiver (Yamaha rx-v677).

arlemedra

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
I understand what you are talking about, it's just that unfortunately I have no options available (everything is grayed out) when I have nothing but the optical output or hdmi plugged in. I don't know if there are drivers I need to update somewhere or what is wrong, but I don't even get anything in the device manager tab upon plugging in the SPDIF.

I have gotten RCA to work, though albeit in an odd sort of way.