akula45

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I am trying to scan in 4x6 prints into my computer so I can enhance and touch them up and then get digital reprints. Problem is that when I scan them into photoshop, they aren't 4"x6" they are about 12x9. I can't get them to resize down to the proper size for reprints. I am using Photoshop CS 8 and HP Precision Scan and a Scan Jet 2200C.

Hey, gimme a break, I'm a photographer first, animal rescue driver second, then computer nut. I try to stay up to date so forgive me if I ask a stupid question.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
There's probably a setting in your scanner driver software that asks for your target size. Probably oughta be changed. Can't be more specific, since I don't use HP scanners. That failing, are you unable to resize it in Photoshop?
-Brett

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by smitbret on 03/09/05 02:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
The DPI controls the size, if you want smaller pics, you have to lower the DPI, or crop it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you can't get it to be 4x6 directly it isn't hard to just change the size once it is in photoshop. The size to dpi ratio is inversely proportional. Adjust the size and dpi accordingly and the image will look the same, it will just be a diff size.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

akula45

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
The scanner says it is sending a 4x6" image to Image Ready. I use 150dpi. I don't have negatives for these prints so scanning them in to .psd's and taking them to Ritz on cd or printing them myself is the only way to make reprints

Hey, gimme a break, I'm a photographer first, animal rescue driver second, then computer nut. I try to stay up to date so forgive me if I ask a stupid question.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If they are entering photoshop at 12x9 at 150dpi just do this:
12 (initial size) divided by 6 (ending size) = 2
Changing the width to 6 should auto adjust the height to 4.5 (close enough to a 4x6, if you need it to be 4 exactly just crop a little)
150dpi multiplied by 2 = 300dpi

So your new pic will be 6x4 at 300dpi. It will visually look the same on the screen but it will be physically smaller. This way no quality is lost after reducing the image size.

I know the scanner software "should" output to the correct size but it really isn't all that big of a deal if it doesn't.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

TRENDING THREADS