Help with ransomware!

bkxaustin

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi everyone, my sisters laptop got infected with this cryptosystem ransomware it has some family pictures on there but they are saved onto a usb of mine. A lot of the files are vvv file extensions now and it deleted all the system restore points. I can't think of anything really important on that laptop, its used for games and school work. I was wondering if I should just reinstall windows on it to get rid of it, I used Malwarebytes to try and remove it but on start up google chrome still opens up with a webpage telling me how I can get my files back and in a certain amount of time or the conditions will change etc. I can post some pictures if you would like, I am using my desktop to post this but all I really want to know is can they do anything bad with the data/files they stole and if not should I just reinstall windows?

Solution
If I had some infection I had trouble getting rid of on a PC that contains absolutely no important data, I would format and reinstall to make sure everything is completely gone.

derek3ton

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
boot into safemode with networking and then download Hitman pro and Rogue killer. Hitman pro will ask for your email, but they won't bug you with spam. While in Safemode, run Malwarebytes, then Hitman Pro and then lastly, Rogue killer. Once done, you should be clean. They are all free downloads and safe to install.

bkxaustin

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Alright im going to do what both of you said, I was wondering if they can do anything harmful with the data they stole? and thanks for helping me guys I will post if all the scans work or not!