Question Help with retro Acer Aspire 1300 shutting off

Mar 21, 2021
Hi guys,
I got myself a retro laptop - Acer Aspire 1300 with a broken CCFLs. It worked fine (with separate screen ofc), so I decided to buy a better, 15" screen and replace it, in the meantime I removed a leaky battery, didn't receive any 18650 cells yet, so I can't repair it yet. The problem is that the laptop now turns itself off immediately after POST, as if the power was cut. I don't remember how was it earlier, but after a few seconds of POST fan stops. If I click F2 to go into BIOS it goes to its screen and pop it's gone. But if I remove HDD it stays on longer (just for the period of HDD seeking) and as soon as BIOS shows it dies. From additional info, CMOS battery is pretty much dead (1V), power supply is not original, but since it turns on I don't think it's a problem, I also tried plugging back old screen without any success.
Any ideas, besides the battery?

EDIT: I'm not really sure how that works, but replacing leaky 18650 and plugging back the battery seems to solve this issue, somewhat. It now turns on, but will turn shut off at random points.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Laptop Tech Support 0
Skhaloo Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 0
hillaryous Laptop Tech Support 3
V Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
Windorey Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 0
laggerman21 Laptop Tech Support 0
Lhcannon Laptop Tech Support 0