Hey guys, Im looking to buy the best Home theatre system that can fit my $3000.00 budget.

arjunmehta

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Was thinking of going in for a 7.1 speaker system and a great AV receiver to go with it. Your advice would be much appreciated !!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Give us more details. Home Theater System consist of:

TV
Audio and Video Player
Audio System

But you just want 7.1 audio system then that's another matter.

$3000 for just a receiver, subwoofer and speakers?
where at in the world? what shops will you buy from? what kind of sound do you expect? speaker size?

you need to be more specific as to what you want...

arjunmehta

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Hi there, thank you for your response! If you see my first message ive mentioned what i'm looking for: A 7.1 speaker system with a good sound receiver

arjunmehta

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Hi there, I live in New Delhi India. If you could give me a few configuration options then i can see whats available here. Just to mention a few brands that i should be able to find and i'm also looking at:

Amps/Receivers: Denon, Merantz, Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, NAD, Bose, Audiolab, Cambridge Audio, etc.
Speakers: Klipsch, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Warfdale, Bose, Boston Acoustics, etc.

If theres any others you recommend, i can try and find them here. Theres a lot of great stuff available in India except its not an organised market and so information is limited unless I specifically scout. I hope you understand.

In terms of kind of sound, I want it to feel like a compact cinema hall with Crisp solid sound for both movies and music.

Speaker size doesn't matter much. I don't want giant sized speakers taking up too much space but I assume that a 7.1 will have 2 floor, 4 wall satellites, 1 centre and 1 sub which is workable.

I hope this clarifies, look forward to hearing from you, Thanks again!

First thing to do is decide on your speakers. Best way to decide is to listen yourself. Of the brands you mention Wharfedale is probably the best but if you can listen to Paradigm or Revel speakers you should. Cambridge makes some good speakers too. Your budget is high enough to get up into the entry level of audiophile.
Of the receivers you mention the Marantz, NAD and Cambridge are more audio quality oriented than the others which I consider important The NAD and Cambridge will have less features than the Marantz.
Find a high end audio shop and visit them. Bring some of you own music to listen to. Listen to the front speakers only in stereo. Choose the ones you like and there will a matching center channel to go with them. Subs can be mixed from different makes. Paradigm subs with PBK kit are excellent with any speakers. The surrounds should be as closely matched as possible but it is not as critical as the center so you can trim cost here to stay in budget.

arjunmehta

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Hi there, Thanks a lot for your views!

I just checked, we do have Revel and Paradigm available in India. I'll be checking them both out in the next couple of days. Whats your view on PSB speakers ? Thats also a brand I plan to hear in the next few days.

Also, in terms of NAD having less features than Marantz, any drawbacks in terms of my need that you could identify ? I'm only looking at top notch bang for my buck - a compact cinema in my house as mentioned for movies and music.

Also, do you see a fair advantage in having a 7.1 system over a 5.1 system with surround speakers ? The subject room size is about 350 sqft.

Thanks in advance !

ien2222

Distinguished
PSB is definitely one you should look at,

If you can, look at SVS, Acoustic Arts is a local dealer but their website doesn't give specifics on what they have. Even if they don't carry any of their speakers, the subs should be at the top of your list.

Don't spend too much on an AVR, you're better off investing in better speakers. Personally on a $3000 budget at most I'd spend $300-$400 on one...unless there was some features that I wanted that required a higher price point such as Atmos.

arjunmehta

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for the lead, Ive spoken to them and plan to go for an audition later this week.

Can you suggest a good AVR within the $300-$400 range ? Also can you guide me on how much to put aside for the Sub and how much for speakers ? I found SVS subs for $700 and $1175.. Steep or worth it ?

Thanks in advance!

ien2222

Distinguished

Sorry for the late response, our place flooded a couple of days ago and have been dealing with that.

Anyways, as far as recievers ago, pretty much any of the above that were mentioned are fine. Generally you'll get more value for the dollar with Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, and Sony in that price range and Yamaha isn't a bad choice either. It just depends on what features you want and if you want to look for sales.

SVS makes good subs and will be worth it. As with everything it depends on what else is available as to whether it a good value, what models are those subs?

$300 to $400 surround receivers will not be adequate to power better speakers. I know the power specs look the same on paper but there is a difference in current capability and quality.
Do choose the speakers first and then match the receiver to them.
I highly recommend Paradigm subs with any speakers. The are tight and accurate. No boomy annoying bass. They also offer a Perfect Bass Kit which will match the sub to your room. Makes an amazing improvement and is better than the room correction in receivers except for the Anthem receivers which has this system built in.

ien2222

Distinguished
An avr's ability to adequately power any given speaker doesn't rely on how "good" of a speaker it is. It's a function of the speakers sensitivity, impedance load, and desired spl to be played at. There are $3000/pr speakers out there that can play over 100dB at one meter powered with just a small 20watt t-amp with no audible distortion.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

+1 to PSB. Fantastic budget speakers.
However note that, they are usually speakers that require a 4ohm capable amp or receiver to drive them best. They really come alive with power. So pairing them with the correct amp is required.

You should note that this is the wrong place for suggestions based on a budget. You live in India. Price difference is pretty big. A 3000$ speaker system suggestion can cost you upto 5000$ in India - import and shipping costs. So watch your step!
HiFi Vision is a better choice to get recommendations based on a particular budget denominated in Indian currency.

Since you seem like a newbie, here is are a few of suggestions and you wont regret following them.

1. Don't be in a hurry to get your entire system today and now. You can build it step by step and go slow as you save more money. Suggest you stick with 5.1 and later go 7.1. However, get a 7.1 receiver so you can upgrade later. If your room is small, you are better off with 5.1.

2. The fronts make the biggest difference. Get a really good pair of fronts and then get a matching receiver. Always pick the speakers first, then only the receiver/amplifier!!! The reason is simple. Some speakers require more power and some require less power. You wont know how much power they need until you decide which speakers. Dont stick with 300-400$ receivers. It is highly speaker dependent. Get the speakers first and then get someone at audioholics or AVS forums to get you a matching receiver.
(Now don't start reading specs of speakers and amplifiers to find out how much power they need. They are pretty much useless numbers. Just listen to multiple speakers and decide which. After that you can get someone to match the speakers to an amp)

3. The center makes a big difference in movies. So once you decide which fronts you are buying, just get the recommended center for those front speakers. Sometimes you get multiple centers that the manufacturer recommends. One lower priced and another a bit higher. Get the higher one if it is not too big a price difference. The center really makes a big difference. The PSB's really shine here! The mid range on PSB's are really good.

4. For surrounds, don't spend too much money on them. While this does change the experience of movies, it is worthy to note that barely 5-10% of the sounds come from the surrounds. You can get a pretty good surrounds for 20K INR. You dont have to stick with the same manufacturer as the front speakers and it wont change your experience. Bookshelves will work.

5. Subwoofer...well, Tread carefully! You've been warned!!
You are always at risk of not getting enough sub effects. Multiple factors come to play here.
Room size - larger the room harder for one sub to energize it.
Room acoustics make a huge difference. You simply cannot know until you measure it.
If you are looking for multiple listening positions then you need at least 2 subwoofers if not 4.
When you are getting a subwoofer, 2 subs is always better than 1. So if you have a limited budget, go slow take your time.
Also note that you can make subwoofers yourself. They are pretty easy to make and you can get 2 kickass subs for 50K INR. 2 Subs are always better than 1 !!
While SVS is good, Spending 70K INR on one SVS sub is kinda tough especially when your budget is 200K. You are better off making 2 subwoofers yourself. Carpenters are cheap in India and you get Dayton drivers. You can use Crown XLS amp with them. For Less than 60K you can make 2 subs and a 120K budget out of the box would not match! Remember subwoofers are tricky, and highly room dependent.

I would suggest first get one pair of tower speakers and a receiver. PSB Imagine X2T or DALI Ikon are both good choices. Again don't compromise on fronts!
If you are comfy buying from the US and shipping, check this out. They are pretty good for sure!! If I remember it right, RBH had something to do with its design. Which is BIG!
http://emptek.com/r55ti.php
You can ship using Borderlinx shipping service. They have a cost calculator that will tell you what it comes up to. It is usually accurate with less than 5% variation. They are reliable to ship to India. Speakers you can ship without much concern. Amplifier or receiver I would strongly suggest to get in India. Some would suggest to get from US and use a step down. Don't! Get it in India made for 230V and with Warranty. You never know what goes wrong with electronics. With speakers this is usually not a concern.

If tower speakers are a bit too expensive then get a pair of good bookshelves and get 2 subwoofers. If you have someone coming from the US have them carry a pair of NHT Classic three bookshelves.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Three?sc=12&category=3772