Hey, phone makers — stop handing your cameras over to movie directors

Feb 6, 2023
Well, since that was your opinion, i will also put my opinion, which, i think what they did is not wrong,

a smartphone camera shouldn't suddenly turn anyone into a professional photographer. But, it should become an entry where a 'schlub' (in your term) can actually learn how to take a better picture.

Because good picture doesn't come from the device. But from the mind of the photographer and the way they execute it using their device.

Now i just gonna be fair, give Ridley Scott and one other 'schlub' the same phone and same place/scene/object to shoot.

Even without any special rigs/lightning. I believe Ridley will still took a better pictures in term of angle, composition, exposure, etc. Why ? Because he has a skill & mindset to do so with any device he hold. Do you really think he never learn to shoot using a crappy camera prior becoming one of the best director ?

To be able to shoot a good picture, you also need to overcome your own limitation, which is skill and imagination. And good for you, that nowadays a smartphone already overcome a lot of device limitation for you. Now imagine Ridley or Annie Leibovitz who back in their learning time, need to bring lightmeter along with him, because his camera doesn't have exposure meter.

Really, we shouldn't blame the smartphone brands for approaching the very best people for their camera marketing campaign. If any, we should blame ourself for not learning more from all those people using the very good device we have. :)

just a 50cents opinion from an ex photographer and digital artist who used to need to bring a backpack full of camera gear during travel juat to get a decent photo quality. Glad that i only need to reach my pocket now to do the same.

Feb 7, 2023
Sr Scott's movie was too dark, too chopped, too many close ups of people making faces. The lad practicing on his drum kit was found footage.
Leave off Ridley Scott and nothing.

Jan 7, 2023
Sorry, but where was this take during all of Apple's marketing campaigns where they were clearly using professional equipment to make movie quality recordings? They even had disclaimers about all this extra equipment being needed.

You're a little too late with this hot take. But I guess it's a thing now that Samsung jumps on board.

Feb 11, 2023
Sorry, but where was this take during all of Apple's marketing campaigns where they were clearly using professional equipment to make movie quality recordings? They even had disclaimers about all this extra equipment being needed.

You're a little too late with this hot take. But I guess it's a thing now that Samsung jumps on board.
Apple doing these promotions is okay, because it's Apple. Nevermind that little phone maker Sony has a professional custom video recording app slapped on their expensive Xperias even before Apple.

He's complaining about video, but where was he when we have billboards plastered with Apple ads photo taken by professional photographers who sometimes bring a crew and a boatload of equipments just to arrange for the 'taken by an IPhone moment?'

Did he complain then as well?

This is just a trolling article.

Jan 7, 2023
Apple doing these promotions is okay, because it's Apple. Nevermind that little phone maker Sony has a professional custom video recording app slapped on their expensive Xperias even before Apple.

He's complaining about video, but where was he when we have billboards plastered with Apple ads photo taken by professional photographers who sometimes bring a crew and a boatload of equipments just to arrange for the 'taken by an IPhone moment?'

Did he complain then as well?

This is just a trolling article.
And that's when I delete sites from my Google feed. My feed has become much more productive as I delete sites with too much click bait/trolling articles. I hope these guys/gals don't consider themselves journalists.