Hi-Tech for Geekettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGoose

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I can't help but notice that almost everything here is ... well .. pink. Is that the only colour manufacturers think women like? Or is that actually the only colour women like? Or maybe it was a deliberate decision to find the pinkest, shiniest, most frivolous tech objects. O__________________O

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I think the stuff's pink, because when hunting for 'girl stuff' without feeling as a girl, you can only identify stuff that screams 'not boy stuff at all' as being girl stuff ; not that there isn't being manufactured anything for females, that isn't pink.

geethebluesky

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Are they kidding? PINK?? Geek stuff is the last "bastion of hope" for women trying to escape the stupid stereotype that "cute little purple/pink"powder blue" lines on sneakers are "cute" and that we all should wear "light colors" and .... ohh this is so bad.

The model looks awful with those colors. What are they THINKING? (They aren't or they'd have asked the opinion of a few more women before agreeing to market this at all!)

geethebluesky

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Not all girls like pink OR light green/blue/any other "bright shiny light" colors, it's not all in the colors sometimes, and associating women to "bright/pastel/toned-down colors" is ridiculous.

G

Ha this is funny... Maybe you girls need to consider how much "Geeks" realy know about girls. Maybe then you won't take it so personal.

G

i agree with the other girls... most geek girls i know are over pink since they were inundated with barbie for years growing up. it's only the American Idol worshipers who like pink and go for all the bling.

geek girls I know tend to like what geeks like, but have a finer appreciation for style. give me something that's cool but looks nice, and i'll buy it. don't just give me the same thing in pink or cover it in shiny glass that will just fall off.

G

I'm a girl geek and i happen to not mind pink but, would i want all my gadgets in pink? Hell NO!! I couldn't really care less how it looks [although am partial to metal/titanium effect] - just that the damn thing works which is so often not the case these days. Stop worrying about the colour or target gender, lets start making quality value products that everyone wants :D

G

I work in a small computer repair/retail store and while I don't mind pink, I agree. No geekette gadgets in pink for me either!! I prefer the black and silver. Most of these overpriced gadgets are for the "girlies" with too much money and not enough interest in finding out what's REALLY available. Those who are "tech savvy" are looking for specifics out of their "tech toys" and don't really care much about what they look like anyway. This just shows how little the "tech industry" is really interested in it's "real" customers. *sighs* Real women want real things. Young women want nice things. Girls just want to have fun! hehe They just don't want to take the time to find us or hear what we have to say.

G

Not all girls enjoy their tech to be pink. Nor do we need it decorated with Crystals. I also enjoy being called a Geek and do not need the "ette" added to it.

This is why I run my own gadgets blog on GamingAngels.com and check out blogs like Shiny Shiny. Because they know how to cover gadgets for women.

Perhaps next time you'll do some more research outside of the stereotypes of women.

Trina
GamingAngels.com

G

To trina et al, don't forget that while you're all intelligent people, there's still a world full of Paris Hilton clones out there who WILL buy something because it's shiny and pink. If there's a market there, why not exploit them for daddy's money?

G

Trina, you're right, and I agree... We can only hope that this article has been published to capture the mindless clicks of the masses, after all this site has a fairly good rating on Google. Perhaps they're hoping that a search for "pink gps" will get them some page views and hence ad revenue.

I maintain this hope because I think THG is fantastic, and wouldn't consciously put up a senseless review like this without some good reason. ;)

G

shes gotta be the ugliest model ive ever seen. shes friging scary.

G

Women are more concerned about economic than toys, they are 'geeks' in a different perspective. Most of them are very rationalize about cost and benefit instead of fancy features and styles. Its stupid to simply skin the same "program" with a pink GUI. lame ya...

G

Here is my personal list that I think contains any gadgets that women (or men) would enjoy.

G

Does that "chick" on the first time look like a guy in drag to you? Yuck.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
yes, not ALL but there are a pretty big mess of them out there right now. My little sister is a bit too young for some of this stuff, but the pink/purple on tech gadgets makes her interested in them at a younger age. It's not all about what you want... it's about getting brand recognition out of kids at a younger and younger age. So honestly, stop trying to be an activist and think about what they're doing. Not to mention there actually are a lot of older women who like to doll themselves up... I've seen plenty of 30-50 year old women dressing like their 13-16 years old, sad really.
Point being... this stuff exists because of market research, and it sells, so don't get upset that this market exists.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
one more thing. Did you ever stop to think that they posted this article because this is marketed SPECIFICALLY toward girls? you know, no non gay self repecting man would buy this stuff because it SCREAMS girly? Just another point of view... They can't exactly take a black gadget and say "this is marketed to only women" but with something pink, or pastel, that almost no man would buy.... they're right. But having said that, I would rock some deep colored purple stuff, you know, like the kind you see on a show car. That's my favorite color. And i'm one of VERY few men willing to step into the realm of colors that are considered girly.

Status
Not open for further replies.