High pitched beep from home theatre every 15 minutes

jubilee62

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Can anyone help? I keep hearing a 3 second high pitched beep but can't quite tell where it is coming from n our lounge where our home theatre system is, i.e. LED TV, receiver, speakers, blu ray player, modulator, router, Foxtel box and modem. There are a couple of cable connector boxes behind the system also. I thought it was our fire detectors but I took out the batteries and I could still hear this beep lasting about 3 seconds every 15 minutes. I unplugged the power for the TV and waited 15 minutes - I could still hear the beep. I unplugged the router - still could hear the beep. I unplugged the Foxtel box - still could hear the beep. I unplugged the receiver - still heard this annoying beep.
Any ideas?
hanks
John in Canberra, Australia

Solution
If you unplugged all of the devices and still hear the sound then the sound is not coming from those devices. Is there any time when the sound does not exist? What situation starts the sound?

I would try unplugging other things like your phone or other devices near your center.

Also when you say unplug are you pulling the plug from the wall or from the back of the devices? It could be one of the power packs for these devices. Try pulling them from the wall.

JimF_35

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
If you unplugged all of the devices and still hear the sound then the sound is not coming from those devices. Is there any time when the sound does not exist? What situation starts the sound?

I would try unplugging other things like your phone or other devices near your center.

Also when you say unplug are you pulling the plug from the wall or from the back of the devices? It could be one of the power packs for these devices. Try pulling them from the wall.

Solution
one by one start unplugging the devices. if you still hear the beep you know its not that device. (this is what you were doing)

if you have worked through and have all devices unplugged and still hear the beep, then its not coming from those devices in your home theater.

it sounds like a smoke detector. make sure you didnt miss one. it could also be coming from the panel your internet provider installed (if any) which sometimes have a battery backup in them. also, it could be coming from a UPS battery backup. generally, check anything with a battery-backup.