Question High pitched noise from laptop

Apr 22, 2020
I decided to do a little maintance to my fan of my laptop. It was making this rattling noise when it was running slow.

So I took apart the laptop, took out the fan, blew dust out of it (and out of the laptop) and added a drip of WD40 into the fan. I cleaned the old thermal paste from the GPU and the CPU and reapplied some new from Thermal Grizzly. Then I put everything back together but then the problem started.
When I plugged in the wall adapter, a continuous high pitched noise was coming out of the laptop. I decided to unplug the wall adapter and a few moments later the noise was gone (i presume the battery was dead again). I opened up my laptop again and plugged it back in, same problem. Here I noticed that the GPU was getting very hot and because the sound didn’t stop and the GPU was getting hotter, I decided to quickly take out the battery.
I then thought it may have something to do with the fan so I removed the fan again. I plugged the charger back in (without the battery connected) and then the laptop beeped at the same frequency. When I turned the pc on, the sound was back to being continuous.
In both cases the laptop didn’t turn on (no screen and no light from the power button).
I don’t quite know what to do from here. I think that it’s the GPU that makes those noises because it’s getting hot. I suspect that there is some sort of short circuit.

My pc is a HP Envy X360 15-bp002nd (https://support.hp.com/be-nl/document/c05574987) with a Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU and a NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX GPU.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 8
T Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 5
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 11