High School Student Expelled for Cursing in Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
This invasion of over zealous authorities into the online world is becoming ridiculous, first the muamba tweeter is jailed(way over the top) and now this. The freedom of the internet is slowing being eroded and turned into a police state.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
So she thought that suspension would be a more appropriate response to her son posting something on the free internet while at home, as opposed to expulsion? Possibly consider that neither of these would be appropriate and err closer to offensively intrusive?

Their school seems as misguided as that absolutely insane school district that sent kids home with laptops and used the built in webcams to spy on the students at home.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
This is absolutely ridiculous. Trying to make an impression on a 9yo is one thing (but even then expulsion would be too much), but this guy is in his senior year (17/18yo?)! And quite frankly, his tweet is 100% correct... that word can even be nearly every word in a sentence and still be grammatically correct. This principle needs to be -expelled- fired.

namecnassianer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
GJ, fascists. Just another example of the self-aggrandizing secondary school system frelling up a kid's life before his life even gets started. And for what was intended to be a private semi-artful attempt at self-expression! Want to apply to college? Good luck, kid.

Now, once again, why does the American educational system lag others?

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Schools have become jails for children. As a father I've noticed the school is more worried about discipline that about education. It's all about control. Blanket policies are not effective. They do not allow children to be children and children will make mistakes. If the known bully gets in a fight he should be more severely punished that the quiet kid who was the victim of the bully's taunting. Schools are horrible institutions.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
In b4 media attention brings in ACLU lawyers and this school gets rolled into the ground. Don't sweat it kid. When the attorneys are done, you'll be able to afford your own personal prom.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
This is ridiculous, I myself am a high school senior and i watch my classmates post much worse things on facebook on a daily basis. I agree though that schools have began to worry way to much about discipline as opposed to actually teaching students.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Personally I find the principle and the school were out of its jurisdiction in expelling this student. I would even say that the principle and the school are stalking their students.
How do we know that this principle is not some pedophile getting off on his students tweets?

What makes him or the school so morally righteous? Both the principle and school should be sued for invasion of privacy and stalking, what the students do on their own personal time at home or off school hours is not the school business period.

I also feel the same way about companies who interview their candidates and then do a back round check on Facebook and some other social network sites, again for me this is invading someone privacy and we the people should put a stop to it.

It is the parents job to discipline their own kids, granted some parents are too soft, but then again when you do have parents who are very strict their kids threaten the parents by calling child protection. So for the parents its damn if you do and damn if you don't. Enough with child protection laws and let the parents do their jobs as parents.

Coming from an Italian background my father was strict and when i was out of line it was the belt, as he often said "my house, my rules" "you don't like my rules then leave with the cloths you have on you" lesson learned. Heck he kicked me out of the house for not getting a haircut when told.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Think it about on the positive side, this school deserves a pat on the back for preparing a student for a hypocritical society that likes to deliver unfair punishments for unfair actions and break its own principles and beliefs.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]This is ridiculous, I myself am a high school senior and i watch my classmates post much worse things on facebook on a daily basis. I agree though that schools have began to worry way to much about discipline as opposed to actually teaching students.[/citation]

The sad thing about the situation today is that you, as a high school senior, are immediately sensitive to the degree of vulgarity (or lack there of) in what was said by comparison to what you've seen peers post on another social media site. Ten years ago, the immediate reaction would have instead been, "why the hell are you stalking me on the internet outside of this school building?"

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Is it seriously legal to track stuff like personal messages while using a system like that at a school?

Our company is supplying a number of collages with internet, fileservers and more, and far as I'm aware we're not allowed to even look at what data they're storing, let alone track their personal messages. We MAY track their access to websites, and we're allowed to look up their usernames (they're informed prior to showing up at the given institution) ... but we're definetly not allowed to just track whatever we see fit. Maybe the rules in the us are different? You guys do after all have a strange point of view with regards to a lot of things

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Coming from an Italian background my father was strict and when i was out of line it was the belt, as he often said "my house, my rules" "you don't like my rules then leave with the cloths you have on you" lesson learned. Heck he kicked me out of the house for not getting a haircut when told.

Then your father was a child abuser and the fact he thinks he owns your hair shows what an abusive power trip he was on. Since you couldn't just "leave" as i doubt you had anywhere else to go, he could do whatever he wanted and you would have to obey. Or do you consider forced subservience, and a father who is happy to see you destitute and homeless for a minor misdemeanor to be a "normal" family relationship?

As for the school, they should be sued for a gross abuse of power and illegally holding information. Not to mention the fact that no "actual" crime has been committed. The school should be punished severely for this... and all involved should be sacked immediately.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Seriously...this looks more and more like a communist regime. Everything is monitored and censored. The next thing we need is a word police, morons.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Back in 96' when those "Calvin" peeing on stickers were in, I had one reversed peeing on my schools Parking Logo.

I got drug into the office and reprimanded about it, but I stood my ground on free speech. Nothing the school could do about it - it was quite funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.