High Tech Fingerprint Scanner Scans From 20ft Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I think manufacturers of fingerprint-based security systems need to do some work, fast. A while ago, Mythbusters had cracked a "uncrackable" lock system by copying a fingerprint and printing it onto a glove.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I had an interesting experience with a Compaq fingerprint reader, once you have used your finger on the scanner window and if your print wasn't smudged post scanning, then if condensation occured on the scanner window it would auto log you on once there was enough moisture on the scanner windows to generate a fake fingerprint.

G

One of these days someone will actually read the article they link to and get the right information.

http://idairco.com/products
"The sensor collects fingerprints from a distance greater than one and a half meters at more than 500 pixels per inch."

That's just over 5 feet. Come on. Don't just copy what the person who originally wrote this story said without checking that they were correct first.

JohnyGt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
So does this mean that now, my arch nemesis will be able to get my fingerprints without my knowing, make a set of my finger tips with his 3D printer, and then leave my fingerprints at the scene of his crime?

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I guess we will all have to start wearing gloves all the time, to avoid big brother from tracking us through hidden fingerprint scanners... assuming we successfully circumvent all their other tracking methods as well...

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]I guess we will all have to start wearing gloves all the time, to avoid big brother from tracking us through hidden fingerprint scanners... assuming we successfully circumvent all their other tracking methods as well...[/citation]

I would not worry about gloves... They track people now by satellite and flying drones - the idea is that as you can "recognize" a person from a distance by their shape combined with the way they walk. The same thing works for surveillance from above - and with computer algorithms doing the recognizing, its actually really accurate.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
This is getting scary! I can already imagine world where technology is forbidden...

[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]I would not worry about gloves... They track people now by satellite and flying drones - the idea is that as you can "recognize" a person from a distance by their shape combined with the way they walk. The same thing works for surveillance from above - and with computer algorithms doing the recognizing, its actually really accurate.[/citation]

Unless you are a high profile criminal or political activist you don't need to worry much about that. They cannot deploy drones and satelites to track 7 billion people but they could easily install cameras and devices like that one everywhere in public places.

And it is not just that technlogy there are many more. Now this looks more and more like Fascism everyday.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hairystuff[/nom]I had an interesting experience with a Compaq fingerprint reader, once you have used your finger on the scanner window and if your print wasn't smudged post scanning, then if condensation occured on the scanner window it would auto log you on once there was enough moisture on the scanner windows to generate a fake fingerprint.[/citation]

Logged in on a similar system once with a sheet of plastic, it detected the pressure and scanned the smudge and granted access. Awesome security!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Another Adverticle... Facial recognition is not working as well as once thought. Even the FBI has admitted to that. And scanning Fingerprints from 6 ft... yeah, let the Mythbusters have a crack at that.
Besides, a simple pair of gloves will take care of the device.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
My only hope is that as technology like this becomes more accurate that the technology to fake / change fingerprints also becomes viable so that the data becomes useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.