Highest/Largest Amount RAM Available for Laptop

poohfishjunk

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello,

I am curious what is the highest/largest amount of RAM available in a laptop. Yes I ask this question because the intent is to have multiple virtual machines running at once. I understand there are other key factors such as brand, cpu and i/o throughput, but I am curious with current technology what is available.

Thank you in advance.

manofchalk

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I would imagine 32GB, as that is what most desktop systems are limited too. But more realistically it would be 16GB most likely.

Though for your purposes, I wouldn't get a laptop. You really need a desktop for that kind of work.
If portability is a concern, you could build yourself a fairly strong ITX system that would be easy enough to move around.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Depends on Dimm slots and OS. For instance windows 7 ultimate x64 can support 192gb of ram and if you had 20 dimm slots on your MB you could test the limits of that OS. Considering most laptops use 2-4 dimms figure 4x8=32gb to be the normal limits

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Generally, a laptop comes with two memory slots. This means 8GB per slot. Heavier performance laptops, such as Alienware 17/18 or ASUS ROG G750 have four memory slots, giving them 32GB of memory. Netbooks generally have one slot. Do some research, generally the detailed specs of any system on the manufacturer's site will include how many memory slots there are.