HIS Radeon HD 6950 unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

techo

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I have a HIS Radeon HD 6950. Is it worthwhile for me to unlock this? What will I gain by unlocking this? How do I unlock?

Solution

I am using 2x6950's. I have unlocked them to 6970. By unlocking you will get 6970 (somewhat) performance but (according to my researches on google) time to time the GPU's can malfunction (it is said 6950 and 6970 use different Rams and ushing 6950 rams to 6970 may end up corrupting 6950's rams while some say it is not a problem since they use same rams) and if you can't flash the old bios your card will be out of guarantee. I have made a quick boot FDD in case such a thing occurs (which i simply put the FDD in my computer and it auto-loads old bios even i can't get any video signal if the card is at a bootable...

techo

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
well thank you for your input,..... by the way i did google it and i found some guides, however I have found this forum to be extremely beneficial and informational getting first hand person experiences and advice. I know how to do it but i am completely new to it and if in my post it is evident that i am new to the idea I will get a more thorough answer. But now thatnks to you it shows in the forum that someone responded to my question and some experts on the topic may overlook my question now. And it is people like you who ruin this site. 95% of the questions on here can be googled and find their answer there, but why go to a place where you can read how to do it or go to a place where you can have questions answer and a follow up response and a conversation on the topic. So next time before you decide to be an a** about something, think it all the way through

slyly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

I am using 2x6950's. I have unlocked them to 6970. By unlocking you will get 6970 (somewhat) performance but (according to my researches on google) time to time the GPU's can malfunction (it is said 6950 and 6970 use different Rams and ushing 6950 rams to 6970 may end up corrupting 6950's rams while some say it is not a problem since they use same rams) and if you can't flash the old bios your card will be out of guarantee. I have made a quick boot FDD in case such a thing occurs (which i simply put the FDD in my computer and it auto-loads old bios even i can't get any video signal if the card is at a bootable state) but still can't take the risk. Also i am gonna give you some numbers of 3DMark 11 at Extreme setup so you can compare the two Bios'

6950@6950 got 1597
6950@6970 got 1809
6950@6970CF got 3502 (all test are at Extreme and it is only one card's result if not mentioned CF)

To lower the risk i also unlocked just the shaders but that only gave a slight improvement at overall performance (and again if card dies the process is same as if you have swapped 6970 Bios since one way or another the Bios is changed) so shaders seemed not worthy according to the risk i am taking.

If you are still interested in unlocking your card to 6970 or 6950 Shaders unlocked i can show you how to do it or you can check this link out http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950-shader-unlock-instructions#t2368661

Regards

Edit: Made test results more understandable and such.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS