Hissing from USB headset?

Relicanth

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I recently invested in a Razer Kraken headset which is my first usb headset. I usually stick to the cheap headsets that use the headphone and microphone slot as opposed to USB slots. I noticed when I tried the Kraken headset that there was both an underlying static hissing sound and a loud hissing sound whilst audio is playing through the headset. I tried it on another computer and the headset works fine so it is not a problem with the headset itself.
I found that the louder I turned the audio levels up and played audio through the headset, the louder the hissing became. I contacted razer and I was recommended to buy a surge protector with a line filter feature. However I don't know what a line filter feature is, even after looking online. I went into Maplins and I was told that they probably mean a ground loop isolator??? But I didn't understand how that would apply to PC's. I was also recommended to unplug my fans and see if there was still interference, and if there was to purchase a dampener for my fan. I did this and I still had the same level of hissing.
My PC is custom built, which is why I presumed maybe it was the fan at first. I noticed that when I turn my stereo mix on the hissing gets considerably louder if that helps at all diagnose the problem. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? Unfortunately at the moment the headset is unusable for how much hissing and interference I am getting through them.
Thanks.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
You must have talked to a particularly stupid salesman at Maplin as this is what you want
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tacima-2m-six-socket-mains-conditioner-plus-rfi-filter-for-home-cinema-and-hifi-l07bk]http://
Secondly fans would not make this noise through your headset.
This conditioner unit might work but if it does not then the noise will be being introduced to the USB 5V line by a poorly filtered power supply.
Razer could stop this noise if they filtered the 5V line in the headphones at very little cost.