Hissing in my speakers

Rexxkar

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
I just installed a Onkyo CS-265 stereo system. This is a "Dorm room" type of system. I got it to play out onto my outside deck. I added two additional outdoor speakers. One set of speakers plays inside and one set plays outside. The two that play inside came with the system and the outdoor speakers are "add on's". The inside speakers are 6ohm's speakers as is the amp. The outdoor speakers are 8ohms speakers. I have added a 2 way switch so I can select which speakers I want on. The problem I'm having is both sets of speakers have a "hissing" sound like static when a radio station isn't tuned in.(It also does it when the CD player is playing) The hissing goes away when I wire a pair of speakers directly into the amp and by pass the 2 way switch. I guessing I have a pretty low quality 2 way switch since it allows the noise. All wire connections are color coded so all connections match like their suppose to. How do I cure the noise so I can use the 2 way switch on my system, I'm a complete electrical buffoon so explain VERY simple so I will get it. Please advise

A speaker selector by itself is not likely to cause hiss. It can't generate noise by itself.
Does it happen when you have the switch wired in but only one pair is turned on?
If not then the amp may be too low powered to drive both pairs of speakers at the same time. You may have to turn the volume up so high that you are hearing background hiss in the Onkyo.
If the switch has impedance matching then there will be an additional loss of power in it. 20 watts per channel into 6 ohms is pretty low power for 1 pairs of speakers and small outdoor speakers usually require more power since there are no walls.

Rexxkar

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
I get hissing from both sets of speakers. It doesn't matter which pair is turned on or if both sets are playing together. I don't want all 4 speakers playing together, so that is not my goal. Maybe a better quality 2 way switch may fix it? Any thoughts?