Hitachi Touchscreen Allows Use of Gloves, Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
So it is sensitive to touch through force rather than detecting the electricity from your fingertips. I think the same tech is in my crappy tom tom.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Non capacitive touch screens have been out forever... My 2 year old HTC works fine using pretty much anything as a stylus. I've used pens, pencil erasers... I must be missing something though.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Previously projection-type designs only worked with bare skin and special styluses"...
you meant styli.(Oxford Dictionary)

Multitouch non-capacitive screen...yeah but better have a better detection sensitivity than a resistive.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
The question is if it is soft, scratchy plastic surface or not. The advantage of current capacitive screens is that they are as hard as glass, i.e. non-scratchy.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Some people really need to either read closer, or just follow tech a little more.

This screen is capacitive - yes the same ones on your smartphones - and it can sense styli and gloves in addition to electrical charge in your fingertips.

That wasn't too hard, was it?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Isn't it great that with the advent of capacitive touch screen phones, I've never had the problem of mis-dialling someone with the phone in my pocket, and letting them listen in whilst I bad-mouth them without realizing. Nope that has never happened to me with the iPhone / Android.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Some people really need to either read closer, or just follow tech a little more.This screen is capacitive - yes the same ones on your smartphones - and it can sense styli and gloves in addition to electrical charge in your fingertips.That wasn't too hard, was it?[/citation]
Capacitive touchscreens require electrical contact. That's why they're called capacitive. If they can recognize touch from a plastic stylus this makes the screen resistive. Plastic and cloth are not conductive materials.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
suddenly captcha for new registrations and comments of newly registered members seems a good idea... also changing the layout of it often enough might help... you know what the spam I am talking about :p

Status
Not open for further replies.